Chapter 12: Past

**Warning!! Minor Language!!***

CALUM POV

After the horrendous dinner, I was pleased to find that my parent's left the next day. I left early so I didn't even see them, which was exactly what I wanted. 

A few days later, Scarlett and I were doing homework in her room. I had finished all my homework at school, so I decided to do some work for next night. "Ughh math sucks!" Scarlett groaned, flinging her pencil on her bed. "What's wrong?" I asked her, standing up from my seat. "I don't understand any of this!" Scarlett complained. I took a seat next to her and looked at her worksheet. 

"Oh I know how to do this." I told her and she looked up at me. "Can you help me?" She asked. "Sure I nodded, giving her step by step directions. "Hey I have a question?" She looked up at me. "What is it?" I asked her. "You're so good at this, and all your subjects, why aren't you in the same level classes as me?" She asked. I shrugged, "The schools just assume I'm a certain way, so I accept it." She looked at me and shook her head, "Well I won't accept it, you're too smart and you deserve to be in a class that actually challenges you." She said, looking up at me. 

SCARLETT POV

The next day I dragged Calum to the main office to get his schedule fixed. "Good morning Ms. Wells!" I chirped and she smiled at the two of us. "What can I do for you?" She asked and I nudge Calum. "I want to get my classes fixed." He said. "I'm gonna head to class, I'll see you later." I told him, Kent and I heading out of the office. 

During history class, the door swung open and there stood Calum. I smiled at him and he sat in a seat next to mine. "Hey, you're here!" I whispered to him, and he smiled. "At least for now, until they bump me back down." He said. I nudged his arm, "No you're too smart, this is where you're supposed to be." I told him seriously. 

He gave me a shy smile, "Thank you." He mouthed and I nodded, turning back to my textbook. 

After class, we were walking holding hands to lunch with Kent walking a ways behind when I heard something behind us. 

"Calum Blacklee, expelled from Western High School for fighting with a kid and giving him a concussion." Yelled someone. We turned around and found Chucky, one of the boys Calum fought with a few weeks earlier standing beside Dug, the other guy. Calum's face turned white, and his grip on mine tightened. 

"What did you just say?" Calum growled, his voice almost unrecognizable. "We just wanted to get to know our new peer, and we found some really interesting facts about you." Dug snarked. "Destruction of property, multiple fights, stealing your dad's car, oh the list goes on." Chucky sneered with a vicious smirk. 

I looked up at Calum, and he looked angrier than I had ever seen him. Calum dropped my hand and walked closer to the two idiots. "Calum, don't!" Kent yelled, his voice urgent as he walked closer to the four of us. Calum dared to step closer, "You two keep sticking your noses where they don't belong and you'll fucking find out how true that concussion story is." He threatened the boys before stepping away towards me and Kent. 

"Get out of here." Kent told the boys sternly, and they sauntered off. I was frightened, I didn't know who this Calum was. He turned to me and tried to grab my hand again but I quickly, put it behind my back. "I-uhh I have to get going. I don't want to be late for art class." I said backing away quickly, with only Kent following behind, not bothering to look back at the boy I thought I knew.