_Chapter Thirteen_

I woke up a little after dawn, as per usual. We Apollo kids never slept past the sun’s rising. Casey noticed that I was stirring, and she came and sat on my bed.

“Morning, sunshine. How did you sleep?” she asked.

I sat up, rubbing my face. “Like a baby. The Morpheus kids could show a thing or two to drug companies about their sleeping medicine.”

She smiled. “I agree. Why don’t you rinse off, then come out, and I’ll duel you in archery until breakfast.”

I frowned. “Just until breakfast?”

She blushed slightly. “I’m Mike’s after that. I promised him I’d train with him.”

I smirked. “Uh-huh. Decoded that means, ‘I’m gonna make out with my boyfriend when nobody’s paying attention’.”  I teased.

If Casey wasn’t already as red as a tomato, she probably would’ve turned another shade of red. She smacked my shoulder lightly before tossing me my towel right into my face. I laughed at her. She giggled, rolled her eyes, and then headed out of the cabin to warm up.

I showered quickly, throwing on a red long-sleeved shirt and my jeans. I slipped on my Converse, quickly dried my hair, then flipped it up into a pony. I brushed my bangs to the side and put in a white headband. I grabbed my bow and quiver, tying the quiver around my waist and holding my bow loosely in my hand. The twins were still passed out, so I shook them awake (which were no easy tasks) before heading to the training field.

Casey and I battled each other with our skills until the breakfast horn was blown. Campers trudged out of their cabins, some with ridiculous hairstyles, besides the Aphrodite kids. Even the boys had their hair in perfect order, as well as their clothes. Mike met Casey and I let them walk by themselves, holding hands and talking quietly.

An arm slung itself around my shoulders. “Looks like someone survived the rest of their night.” Nico said, smirking at me.

I laughed. “As wrong as that sounds, yes, I lived.” I wound my arm around his waist. in a friendly gesture. Although I think it meant something else to the both of us.

Nico rolled his eyes. “You know what I meant.”

I smirked. “Do I?”

His eyes widened. “I sure hope so!”

We both shared a laugh.  He was definitely a better morning person.

Just then, tiny pellets hit our backs. Nico and I both turned, dropping our arms. Percy was grinning from ear to ear, his arm around Annabeth’s shoulders. She held that hand, with her other arm around his waist. Percy’s arm was extended, giving away that he had fired water bullets at us.

“Well, good morning, lovebirds. Enjoying your walk?” Percy called out, laughing slightly. Annabeth tugged on his arm; a warning.

Nico’s eyes narrowed. He opened his mouth to come back with a smart remark, but I beat him to it.

“I think the term you’re looking for is friends. And yes, we are, thank you.” I said. Percy shook his head, smiling. I felt Nico’s anger rising. I sighed inwardly. Percy caught on to Nico’s mood change.

“Hey, Nico, chill out. I’m just kidding.” he said, raising his hand.

Nico’s eyes narrowed slightly before he walked toward the Big House by himself. I groaned.

“Man, that kid is touchy.” Percy muttered.

Annabeth bumped him with her hip. “Perce, cut him some slack. Nico doesn’t have a lot of laughter in his life, being the son of Hades and all.”