Chapter Five

(6 Months Later)
Gemma's POV
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
6 months, 4 kemo therapies and no dates with Matt later, I'm single and living with my daughter and soon-to-be-boyfriend

  Kian, Connor, Ricky, Sam and Trevor, have all found love and as result moved out. Matt, Dylan and I have moved out of the mansion, deciding it was too large for us.

  We moved into a cul-de-sac and it is a safe environment for Dylan.

  Matt and I also decided, seeing Dylan is so smart, to enrol her into school. She has made so may new friends.

  Of course, now that her hair has been displaced, there are some bullies.

  I've been so stressed out lately, with Dylan, we've been living at the hospital with overnight stays.

  We have a wonderful nurse, Audrey, who is an amazing person to talk to and my new best friend.

  After all this joy of Dylan still alive, I'm still heartbroken that Matt hasn't enquirer further about that date.

  On the contrary, he has found a job as a teacher at the local Uni.

  As I sigh, my head resting on my hand.

  "Good morning," Matt calls with an excited voice.

  "Morning," I call back.

  In a slightly softer voice he says,

  "Take this," as he hands me a slip of paper. 

  The paper reads
'Gemma,
I still need to pay you up on that date I promised be here at 7, drop Dylan next door'.

  Looking at my watch, as my head swimming with excitement.

  I've got five hours until 7.

  I lay my outfit out in my bed, and start packing a bag for Dylan.

  When I'm done this, I walk next door to Mrs Mulkberry's and ask her would she be able to mind Dylan overnight.

  "Of course dear, you go have fun with your date," she says.

  Gobsmacked I ask her hoe she knows.

  "Oh darling, I've been through this," she replies.

  We both stand there having a chat until I tell her I have to leave to pick up Dylan.

  Walking up to the school gates I immediately spot Dylan.

  "Hey baby," I say.

  "Hey mummy," she says.

  "How was school today Bub, any troubles?"I ask directing us toward my Pathfinder.

  "It  was okay, Claire and Tara were being mean, they said I'm an old man because I don't have any hair," she says and bursts into tears.

  I put her into her car seat and buckle her up. I tell her to say put and I lock the car.

  I begin walking over to these girls
mum's.

  "Excuse me, but since when was my daughter 'an old man' quoted from your daughters," I say finally.

  They look dumbstruck as I begin to argue with them. I then realise it not worth my time and drive back home.

  "Hey, Dyl is it alright if you have a sleepover at Mrs Mulkberry's tonight?" She nods her head eagerly.

  Dylan and I watch TV for a while and then play Wii Sports.

  I look down at my watch; 6:30.

  Soon after, I take Dylan to next door after saying multiple goodbyes, my phone number and more goodbyes. I open the front door and go straight to my bedroom. I pick up the outfit I was wearing up. Changing my mind, I dig through my cupboard until I find the dress my mum sent me.

 Changing my mind, I dig through my cupboard until I find the dress my mum sent me

The fabric flows against my body and I feel comfortable and beautiful. I put the rest of my outfit on and wait momentarily for Matt to come home. My nervous self hastily checks the time. 6:58. Interrupting my thoughts Matt walks in yelling,

  "C'mon."

  I follow him into his beautiful car as he zooms into the night. A silence sits between us and I can't judge wether if it was a comfortable or awkward one.

  Moments later he pulls up outside a fancy-looking restaurant. I reach my hand out to open the door but before I am able to Matt opens it for me.

  "M'lady," he says as a smile crosses my face. We walk in and a kind looking waitress seats I say a beautiful table. I thank but she nods her head. She hands us menus and before I have a chance to take a look at it my phone rings.

  "Gemma, you need to get to the hospital right now!" Mrs Mulkberry says in a hurried voice.

  I immediately go to the car Matt trailing behind me after I tell him what happened.

  We zoom into the night once again. Silence sits between but this time I know it's awkward.