Guardian Angel

"Felicia, how many times have I told you to please throw away the empty milk carton, and not put it back in the fridge?"

"Loads mommy."

I sighed, and picked her up.

"Off to school we go."

Felicia was often times made fun off for not having a dad in her life. It was the one thing I couldn't give her. I mean, of course she had a father, but I hadn't seen him in eight years or so.

I never did tell my daughter why she didn't have a dad. Sometimes, it was even too complicated for me to understand.

Eight years ago

I ran. I ran and ran until my legs were sore, and I couldn't feel them anymore. I looked behind me, but my persecutor was still there. I looked onward and kept running, my throat sore from all the sudden cold air, head pounding-

I tripped over my own feet and ended up sprawled on the floor. The woman got closer to me, looking at me as if I was prey, and when she was close enough, her eyes turned completely black. There were no words to describe my fear.

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for my end-though it never came. I slowly opened my eyes, and there was a man fighting with the woman with the black eyes, and he seemed to be winning. The man in the trench coat pulled out a knife, and in the gleam of moonlight, I saw strange inscriptions on the blade. He sunk it deep into her neck, and she didn't die immediately. Her eyes flew open, as did her mouth, and inside her something crackled like lightning, and her inside was lighting up. I put my arm over my mouth-a mangled scream and it was over.

I looked up to see the man with his hand extended to me. He was in a white shirt and a blue tie. I must've still been shaking, because he kneeled a bit, and I saw his eyes were the prettiest blue I'd ever seen.

"I believe you're frightened right now. Don't worry, I won't hurt you, I promise." His voice was deep and soothing. I shakily put my hand in his, and he helped me up.

"Wh-who are you?" I asked.

"My name is Castiel."

I'd never forget his name; not now, not ever.

"I've never heard that before. My name is Cassandra." I introduced myself, and then looked up at him. "What happened just now?" I needed to know.

"I'll explain along the way. Where do you live?"

That woman was a demon, and he was angel under commands to kill the demon. He got there just in time too.

"Do you want to come upstairs? I need to repay you. Please. You saved my life. It's the least I could do." I offered, but he didn't seem to want to.

"I don't need you to pay me back, or anything like that. Honest." Castiel replied.

"Please?"

"Alright."

He seemed stiff, awkward. As soon as I got home, I tried to make him feel more comfortable. I made dinner, and though he said angels don't need to eat, he didn't leave a thing on the plate.

"I've never experienced this, you know. Human contact." Castiel explained, and I smiled softly.

"I guess you haven't been on Earth for long." I reasoned.

"That's where you'd be mistaken, actually." He replied. "I've been on earth for thousands of years, but this is the first time I've spoken to a human properly. And one of the only times I've seen honest kindness, thank you." I was sitting next to him on the couch, and we were getting closer and closer. He seemed to be mimicking my actions, leaning in as well, and I had one hand cupping his face.