Credentials

That night after work, we were all siting around having a few drinks at the bar, I was telling the crew about my day and everyone was in hysterics at my tale. After the bulk of the team went to bed, I found myself sitting next to Bob drinking a lot more than I normally would, possibly just to take edge off a very eventful day.

Bob looked at me over the rim of his beer glass, smiling he said he was pretty impressed at how I handled myself under pressure. He inquired if I had any military training; to which I replied I had not. So, you stared down the barrel of a gun, not knowing if the fellow holding it was a phsyco and still had the nerve to resell him and sign him up as a paying client again, wow that takes some balls. I was feeling great; both the drink and the compliments helped me get to a nice, comfortable, and content place.

Thursday was upon us, we normally packed up on a Thursday and headed back to Johannesburg for the Friday "Sales Meeting" - the entire team was at the breakfast table, Holiday Inn breakfasts were great in those days - large buffets of everything you could wish for. During the buzz of heavy animated conversation at the table, Bob asked if we could have a coffee after breakfast as he wanted to discuss something confidential with me.

My contentment of the night before turned to angst – all of a sudden I got this major nervous feeling in my gut that I was possibly being axed - no it couldn’t be, there was no reason - or was there? - Did I step out of line? - Wow, I was beside myself.

I went up to my room, packed up my stuff, loaded the car and went to settle up my bill at the front desk. Couple of the team members had already checked out, soon it was Bob and I. Here it comes, I thought to myself.

Bob said, want to sit around here or go find a place we can have a serious chat in? I said here was fine, we drifted over to a secluded table in the coffee area of the dining room complex - the view was quite beautiful as the hills of greenery and abundant wildlife stretched lazily away from us.

By now I was completely absorbed in what the next words were that were to come out of his mouth - I need to ask you something he said with a devilish glint in his eye - one I did not know he could muster - I knew I wasn't being bulleted - how are you off for money he asked. A little surprised, thinking he needed a loan, I said OK - how much do you need - no, no he said I don't need your money, he laughed.