Prologue: The Day She Ran

Lauren Jauregui was in love with Camila Cabello. This was a fact no one questioned, an undeniable truth to anyone who knew them. Anyone with eyes could see the way Lauren's eyes sparkled at the sight of Camila; the way she smiled so sweetly at the smallest idiosyncrasy; the way her hands handled her body as if it were a priceless jewel.

    She wasn't anyone special, just an eighteen-year-old bookworm with family problems. Her parents were working for the bare minimum, trying to provide for three children. Lauren went to the most prestigious school in Miami on a scholarship, which was where she met Camila.

    Lauren always had an eye for beauty. In a valley filled with death and despair, she could find hope buried underneath. Maybe that's why she fell so easily for Camila: she was a diamond in the rough.

    They met when Camila was fifteen, a freshman in high school. Lauren remembered the way she tittered through the hallways, enchanting everyone who saw her. Lauren was trapped under her gaze too, but never had the balls to approach her. She never did, actually. It was Camila who came to her.

    Lauren remembered the moment as clear as day. Camila had been tripped by one of the popular girls and Lauren had the girl pinned up against the locker in seconds. The girl was near tears when Lauren felt a hand on shoulder. Looking back, green eyes met brown for the first time. She remembered Camila telling her it was OK, that she was alright. She remembered not knowing what to say, but Camila talked enough for the both of them. As Camila limped down the hallway to the nurse's office with her, Lauren knew she was a keeper.

    It came to no one's surprise when they announced they were dating in Lauren's sophomore year. How could Camila turn down someone who loved her so dearly? How could she deny her best friend all the love she could give her? It was a match made in heaven: Lauren, the shy, nerdy girl and Camila, America's sweetheart. Sure, there were fools who mocked them, but the love and support seemed to drown out the negativity.

    But even the greatest people have their flaws. Lauren always felt like the deadweight in the relationship. While Camila had been signed to a major record label by the time she was seventeen, Lauren was struggling with school and keeping her family afloat during tough times.

    It wasn't a good feeling; thinking the one you love would be better off without you. But as Camila's popularity sky-rocketed and celebrities began praising her and sending her gifts, Lauren was almost drowning in self-loathing.

    But she tried. Oh God, did she try. She worked extra hours to be able to buy Camila little gifts – something to remind the girl that she was still there. She supported everything Camila did in her music career, no matter if she disagreed with it or not. She did whatever she could to keep the relationship together.

    But you know what they say about holding on to something too tightly: in the end, you'll be left bruised and bleeding and it will still slip out of your grasp.

    Lauren found this out on Christmas Day, months after her eighteenth birthday. Camila had been officially signed over to Lynx Records, and to celebrate, she was hosting a Christmas party for their friends and family. Lauren had bought her a black acoustic guitar, signed by said family and friends, to show her support in her career. If only she had known what was to come that evening.

    The night had started off well enough. Everyone was laughing and dancing, singing Christmas carols like fools at times. Camila had nearly cried at Lauren's gift, hugging and kissing her profusely. While everyone was mingling, the two lovebirds snuck upstairs for some much needed loving.

    Only a few minutes into their fun, Camila's phone went off. She hummed against Lauren's mouth, slowly pulling away and turning her attention to her phone. Lauren groaned softly, feeling more irritated than she had in weeks.