Chapter 9 - The Council (Part 2)

Chief Akai pushed aside his cloak with one hand, and lifted his tunic with the other. Beneath the tunic was a deep battle scar stretched across rock hard abs. "A Prophet appeared to me in the battle that earned me the name 'Akai'. He healed this fatal wound and granted me temporary supernatural strength. His name was Enoch. He never lifted a finger to fight, and disappeared after granting me strength."

"Enoch; I have heard of. He is well known among Exiles and Nobles alike all over the world. Isn't he just a legend though? The Prophets have not been seen in decades." Rei replied.

"A legend, huh? Tell that to my scar." Chief Akai shoved his scar closer to Rei, as though he was expecting Rei to speak to it.

Rei cringed and raised both hands in surrender. He hated scars. "There's no need to show me, I believe you. I've heard of the legend – you alone defeated a hundred Nobles in defense of our home that day. By the time you returned to Ichi, your clothes were bright red and bathed in Noble blood. That's how you earned the name Akai."

"You know your history well enough," nodded Chief Akai.

"I guess Amadeus could be this 'Enoch' person. How does this 'Enoch' look like?"

"I can never forget that day," Chief Akai reminisced. "Enoch was a large man, with a thick black beard. He held a simple wooden staff and wore a dark brown bear skin as a cloak. Any of this sounds familiar?"

"No. Amadeus does not fit that description. That aside, I'm also quite sure that he... isn't a Prophet," argued Rei. "He is but a mere child, not much older than my own daughter."

Chief Akai paused to think while stroking his thick white beard. "Hmm... tonight, we will feast to celebrate the victory over the Nobles and the defense of our home. I would like to meet this child and see for myself."

"The Nobles just retreated, isn't it a little too early to celebrate?" asked Shikamaru, the farming leader. He studied the seasons and weather, carefully planning what was to be planted and harvested in Ichi. "I know we just had a bountiful harvest but this is a waste of resources."

"I'm with Shikamaru," agreed Misaki, the hunting leader. "We're stretched thin as it is. We need to start moderating our meat consumption or we're going to be eating leaves for the rest of the year." Her duty was to ensure there was a sufficient supply of meat while areas hunted are moderated and do not result in extinction. "Right, Hiroshi?" She added while turning to face him, expecting some form of support. Hiroshi grinned but offered nothing in reply; he loved celebrations too much to say anything against the idea.

"You're always the prudent one Shikamaru," noted Hinata appreciatively. "It's fine, my scouts report that the entire valley and the surrounding areas are clear. It's not a feint, they have truly retreated."

"It's settled then," Chief Akai said. "I will speak with the child tonight. He will be my guest of honor."

All in all, this is working out better than I thought, Rei mused. He bowed deeply, his head low – almost touching the ground. The Izenth tradition dictated that the deeper you bowed, the more respect you had for the person. "Yes chief, as you command."

"You may leave." Chief Akai said and turned to return to his seat.

"Chief Akai," Rei interrupted. "May I be granted a leave of absence to fulfill my vow, and guide him safely on his journey to the Jagged Peaks?"

"An Izenth must always fulfill his vow - it is our way," replied Chief Akai. "You and any of your kin may go, for the vow is carried by your bloodline. You have my blessing."

"Please come back in one piece," added Hinata nervously. "I can't afford to lose any more good scouts."

"Rei," Iwa spoke up for the first time. "Don't forget to restock on your weapons before leaving, I sense things are getting dangerous out there." Iwa was the armory leader and a master in forging. She was known for the constant research she carried out to improve Izenth forging and weaponry.

"I plan to." Rei bowed deeply as a gesture of thanks and walked backwards towards the door. It was their custom not to turn their back on those whom they respected. He exited the room, satisfied with the outcome of the meeting.

Izumi was waiting for him outside, lines of worry on her face. He looked at the moon in the sky. It was a cloudless night tonight and the stars shone unhindered. From the position of the moon, he must have been in there for an hour.

"Sorry for taking so long to get here, father. They aren't going to send you back to lead our warriors to the Nobles are they? They can't make you go!" She spoke fast and gripped his hand tightly; her words tinged with a tone of desperation.

Rei gently touched her cheek lovingly. "It's alright little one, be calm. Everything went well in my report." He gave her an assuring smile. "In fact, the Nobles that abducted us earlier have already fled the valley."

Izumi hugged Rei, clearly overjoyed by the news. "This means that our home is safe again," she whispered.

Rei understood her concern. This was the first Noble incursion that had come this near to home since Izumi graduated as a scout, and also the single time she saw firsthand what they were capable of. His first encounter with Nobles when he was her age left him with nightmares for days.
"How is Amadeus?" he inquired of her.

"Oh, he's fine. I left him with the healers while he was in the middle of treatment. The healers think he should be well enough to leave Ichi by tomorrow morning. They gave him ointment and bandaged up his wounds."

"Good. There is something I need to tell you."

Izumi looked at him worriedly. "What is it, father?"

Rei cleared his throat. "I made a vow to Amadeus that I would guide him through the Crystal Plains to the Jagged Peaks if he would help me rescue you. He has held up his end of the bargain; and now it's my turn."

"You are going to risk your life again because of me? It's not fair, father."

"It's going to be very safe Izzy, I've led scouting parties through the Crystal Plains before. I'll be back before you know it."

Rei put his hand on her shoulder and steered her away from the earshot of Council Chamber guards. Izumi did not look convinced and he didn't want to argue with his own daughter in public. Izenth were traditional people and believed children should obey their parents unconditionally without question.

Izumi was never one to follow tradition. She was headstrong, just like her mother. Rei felt a pang of pain in his heart. He never truly got over the pain of losing his wife. She was his soul mate, and he never felt complete since her passing. Izumi however had few memories of her mother as Rei was forced to raise her alone for most of her childhood.

Izumi rolled her eyes. "I can take care of myself, father. Please, let me go instead. It's my fault for getting captured and forcing you into this vow anyway."

Rei remained adamant. "No, listen to me – I'm your father. I won't lose you again."

"I'll be fine..."Izumi started to protest.

"No," Rei raised his voice. "You won't understand now, but I'm doing this for your own good. Please, just wait for me in Ichi. I leave at dawn tomorrow with Amadeus."

Izumi sighed. They both looked at each other in frustration.

"There will be a campfire feast tonight to celebrate our victory over the Nobles," Rei explained. "I have to attend to some things. Go back home to get cleaned up and rested. I'll see you there later tonight, we'll talk more then."

"Yes, father." Izumi muttered as she walked away without looking back.

Author's Note: Do you guys find Rei a little over-protective? Can't blame him right? He almost lost her. The dynamics of their relationship is complex, and I'll show you guys more later about their past. If you enjoyed, please vote, comment and share!