Jotunheim 25

We had left Valtakuntaun in the early morning hours when it was still dark. Now dawn should have been upon us by now, but because of the heavy snowfall, it was still dark around us. Also, a heavy wind blew so I clung to the hem of Loki's armor. He walked in front of me and because he had taken on his frost giant shape, his wide back was protecting me fairly well from the icy wind that blew in our direction. We could only move very slowly forward, also because we had no possible way off making out where we were and where we should go.  

But with the daylight approaching the heavy wind died down and the snowfall stopped soon after. The sun rose and we found ourself walking under a crystal clear blue sky. Looking around me I notice that our surroundings were really of exceptional beauty! The sun glistened on the freshly fallen snow and the ice clusters spread around, were like huge sculptures of glass. I had always loved winter best of al the seasons on Asgard and I truly loved a winter scenery but this was far more beautiful than anything else I had ever seen."Loki," I said in awe," You realm is most beautiful!" Loki slowed down and then stopped completely. Taking in the view, then he said:" I suppose you are right," and there were pleasure and pride in his voice. Then he pointed at what looked like a city made out of ice in the distance. "Jotunheim city," he said," here we will find Laufey!" 

We walked fast now that we knew where to go. Soon we came to a point where the only way to stay out of sight was hiding ourselves, wherever we could, whilst moving on forward. We finally came to a mine entrance. The entrance was run down and overgrown. Standing somewhat on an uphill, we could see that after some miles there were other entrance's, at least, we presumed they were, as they had the same kind of tower erected over the entrance with a red flag, just like the one that was towering over the entrance of the mine that we were facing. The line of towers was leading towards the city. "If we move forward using the mines we will be able to approach unnoticed," Loki suggested. The mines were dark, but we didn't dare to make a light, trusting our instincts once again we made our way in the direction of the city. 

At some stage, we could make out a light coming from the front, on coming closer we could see that the light was coming from torches stuck to the wall. "We got to be more careful now it appears that these parts of the mines are in use. So it is likely that there are guards," I whispered into Loki's ear. He nodded. Slowly we edged forward. 

But nevertheless, coming to a crossing we found ourselves surrounded by guards. We tried to confuse the guards by multiplying our images hoping to escape them, but just as I slipped past one of them he grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. He then wrapped his huge arms around me disabling me to fight him. I was no match against his frost giant strength. If I would have been free, I would have been a lot faster than him, because of their stature frost giants were often slower than us Asgardians, but as I said, he had me in a tight clinch. 

"I would surrender," the guard called out to Loki, " or I'm not sure what I might do with your little friend here, you excuse of a frost giant! Fraternising with Asgardians, tss tss..." he seemed greatly disgusted with the fact that Loki was friends with me. Loki attacked the guard and for a moment, the grip loosened but not long enough for me to escape. Immediately the giant secured the grip once again and the other guards secured Loki.

"Let's bring them to Laufey," another guard mentioned, the others seemed to agree. The guard holding me tied my hands and then he pushed me forward. The push had been so hard, that I lost my balance and fell forward. Not being able to use my hands, to lessen the impact of my fall I fell full face into the dust covering the ground. The guard laughed but then he got attacked by Loki who despite being tied up himself came to defend me. Again he stood no chance but I appreciated the intention behind it. 

Just before I scrambled up back onto my feet, with my hands bound, I saw something glittering in the dust. It must have been hidden before and only through my fall, it had come to show a little. I shuffled myself around until I managed to take the glistening thing into my hand, as I had thought it was a heart stone. I closed my hand around it so that nobody could see it. Then we got pushed and dragged forward until we stood in front of the current ruler of Jotunheim. Laufey, Loki's father. The guards pushed us forward in such a way that we came to kneel in front of Laufey, which I had not intended. He did not deserve my respect and I was pretty sure Loki shared my opinion.

I didn't expect it but I could actually see some resemblance between Loki and his father. I almost thought that maybe it had been my imagination, for I seemed to be the only one who could see this. But then again nobody knew yet who Loki was. I looked over to Loki, his face was stony. Laufey got up and walked towards me. Then he lifted my chin so he could look me in the face. "How very brave you must feel to come alone to this realm, where we despise Asgardians, " his voice might have sounded soft and sweet despite a dark and raspy voice, but I could hear the menacing undertone, "or I would say rather foolish!" He stroked my chin with his rough fingers but the touch was not kind rather it was mocking me.

Then he walked over to Loki, "And you," he said to Loki, then he noticed the heart stone, "Ah I understand a heart stone. Of cause, that would make you into a weakling fraternizing with the enemy." He looked at Loki for a while and then I could see he had recognized the similarities too, his face suddenly fell," It can not be..." he stammered. He did not see Loki's next move coming and neither did I. Loki yanked out his heart stone and thrashed it into the small empty space in Laufey's chest. Laufey faltered..."Can this really be...my son?"