Chapter Seven: Prepare for the Outside

Levi's POV

Erwin needed someone who could train Hanji in a shortened amount of time – no one had three years for her to learn the basics and beyond. And, even though Levi had just came in along with the cadet, it was Levi Erwin chose to train her.

"Who knows?" the commander had said, "It might benefit you, too."

That was a month ago. Levi had, at first, believed that this style of training was going to fail. It required Hanji to almost not sleep at all and learn as she did normal things, like eat breakfast and do the daily chores around the military base. However, through the training, Levi learned some interesting things about Hanji.

First off, she was already used to sleeping five hours or less a night. It wasn't healthy in the slightest, and Levi was waiting for Hanji to crash, but, until she did, he'd keep pushing her. Second, she loved surprises and was always (seemingly) prepared for them. When Levi would jump out of nowhere (neck padded to resemble the Titan dummies), Hanji would have either a sword, a kitchen knife, or (one time) a letter opener at the ready, her slices precise and quick. Levi was impressed. He never expressed it in words to Hanji, but he was impressed.

Now, as Hanji participated in a field test with other new recruits who'd had much more time to prepare, Levi held his breath. If Hanji passed, she would be allowed to go along on the Survey Corps' next expedition. For her sake, and for his, Levi hoped she failed.

As they waited on the outskirts of the forest where the test was going on, Erwin heaved a sigh and said, "You look disturbed. Relax, Captain. I'm sure Hanji's done well. You trained her, after all."

"You say that like it's still got merit" Levi muttered, "I'm not saying I'm bad – I just don't hunt the same, I think. You should've done my job. Hanji would've learned more."

"Not in the time we would've needed her to learn it" Erwin pointed out, "And your skills haven't worn off, so have a little faith."

Faith, Levi thought as a breeze brushed his cheek, when did I stop believing in things? When I died...no. Further back than that.

There was a moment of silence before someone cried out, "RECRUITS HEADING INBOUND!"

Levi's head snapped up as soldiers shot up out of the forest, some with grateful expressions, others high on adrenaline and whooping for joy. Hanji was the latter, her face bright red from the rush. As her feet slammed into the ground, she screamed, "YES! That was AWESOME! LEVI~!"

Several veterans surrounding the commander and Levi snicker amongst themselves, which caused Levi to barely blush.

"Tsk! She couldn't be a little quieter?"

"I would think you'd have gotten used to it by now" Erwin murmured.

Levi wrinkled up his nose as Hanji came running towards him, arms outstretched for the hug she knew better than to expect.

"No. There is no way you can get used to that."

When Hanji tried to dive in for the hug, Levi spun and rammed his army boot into her stomach, sending her down to her knees.

"ACK! Levi...what the heck..."

"God, you're sweaty!" Levi exclaimed, "Take a bath before you touch me, Four Eyes!"

"Aww! Don't I get a 'Good Job'?"

"I didn't even see you! How do I know you didn't suck?"

"She didn't!"

Levi looked up, finally acknowledging the small group of recruits that had crowded around Hanji, helping her to her feet.

"What do you mean?"