prologue.

March 15, 2018

"Chug another Hemmings, you won't!"

Looking towards Calum, I notice the skimpy girl he keeps wrapped under his arm with a sly smirk on his own face. He eyes the cooler of beers next to me knowing it doesn't take much to encourage me to drink another.

"Fuck you, dude," I say flipping him off as I open the lid and do so anyway. I take out a new beer and slide the contents down my throat easily. Calum cheers for me as the girl next to him claps her fake nails together and giggles.

I should not be drinking anymore.

As I crumble up my 12th beer of the night, I close my eyes and sit back in my seat. I don't even feel sick due to the amount of alcohol I've consumed-- I just feel drunk. After all, I'm used to this considering drinking to forget has become a much too common habit of mine. It's as if it's all I do anymore. 

I knew I never wanted to reach this point, but it seems to be the only way to heal anymore.

"Where's the chick you were with?" Calum asks me referring to the girl I had spent most of the night with. We spent the last hour having sex in my car but eventually, I told her to leave once my drunk felt as if it was wearing off.

"Hopefully gone," I say.

It's not that she wasn't hot, in fact, she was incredibly hot. Her body was unbelievable and she knew how to fuck like no other but I'd never want to see her again after tonight. After all, I never want to see a girl after a one-time bang.

Most of them only want one thing, and that one thing I can't give them; that one thing, I refuse to give them. So for that, I push them away as quickly as I can.

"She was sexy, I'll give it to you," Calum says raising his beer up to me.

I shrug considering I know she was sexy. I wouldn't take her to my car and fuck her for an hour if she wasn't.

"Where's Michael?" I ask, speaking of my friend who's probably one of the few who's equally as drunk as me. We had pre-gamed together and were doing shot for shot causing him to be plastered before we even left the house.

"I don't know, he was drunk and saying something about getting home to Crystal," Calum laughs making me nod understandingly.

When Michael gets drunk, he thinks a lot about Crystal and how he misses her even if he saw her ten minutes before. They both are very much about supporting each other and letting the other go out with their friends so most of the time they really don't go out together.

But when Michael goes out, he misses her a lot which is why he's usually the first one to leave in order to go home to her.

"Ashton?"

"Last I saw him he was playing pong," Calum says referring to the now-empty pong table.

Ashton's the type to make friends with every guy at a party. No, not every girl-- every guy. Whereas, when Calum and I go to a party, we find a girl right away to entertain us for the night. Ashton would rather talk to every guy about everything imaginable and play a variety of different drinking games with them.

It's who he is, and is the reason we met him after all. It was at a lame high school party that I don't remember much of. Calum, Michael, and I all went to the same school and Ashton went to a different school in the area. We were playing a game of king's cup, he asked to join in, and within minutes we were all best friends.