Calm (AbeMiha)

Abe never particularily liked parties. They were loud, and there were too many people crowded in one area. There were drunks left and right, who were all making desicions that they would undoubtedly regret the morning after. They were crowded, and stuffy, and uncomfortable. There were so many people he didn't know, many of which unbeknownst to the meaning of personal space. That, or, they just didn't care. Abe had no use or interest in them, and would much rather be with himself, where all the awkward small talk wasn't needed.

In fact, if he were to do what he desired, he would've just discarded the invitation the second he got it. He would have gone home, done the dishes, contemplated his life while brushing his teeth, and crawled into bed.

This time, however, he had a reason.

There are a lot of people Abe dislikes, yet he hardly ever actively avoids anyone. Except for this one person, this boy who he despised. In his eyes, Haruna Motoki, his former pitcher, is the single most annoying person in the world. That's compared to Tajima. Haruna, unfortunatly, just so happened to decide to attend this party. Which gives Abe even more fuel to ditch the scene. No goodbyes, no thank yous, just out of there.

Mihashi Ren, on the other hand, he likes very much. Mihashi annoys him, too, though, it's different. He can't quite explain it himself; you'd have to see it to understand. Mihashi can barely speak for himself. He is scatterbrained, jumpy, and almost everything Abe isn't. He can hardly understand the boy. At the same time, though, Abe wants to protect his pitcher. He wants to ruffle his hair, and hug him, and tell him that it's okay. He wants to yell that nobody hates him, and that he doesn't have to be scared. More than anything, Abe wants to talk to Mihashi.

Mihashi likes Haruna very much. From what Abe has seen, Mihashi would practically leap into the boy's arms when seeing him, if he had the courage.

Abe dislikes Haruna. Abe likes Mihashi. Mihashi likes Haruna. Abe can't stand that Mihashi likes Haruna.

Mihashi, coincidentally, is also going to the party. So, of course, Abe is going, too.

*****

The party ceased to surprise him. It was exactly as he expected: crowded, uncomfortable, and loud. He kind of regretted coming. He had a job to do, though, and he was going to carry through.

He tried to act nonchalant, making the aforementioned awkward conversation with the odd guest. Really, though, he was scanning the crowds for a messy mop of strawberry-blonde hair. Having no luck, he turned to the one person who always knew where Mihashi was.

"Tajima." He put a hand on the small boy's shoulder, grabbing his attention. Tajima turned from Sakaeguchi, and grinned. "Abe! You made it!" Sakaeguchi smiled, and waved. "Hello," he said quietly. Abe gave a slight nod in his direction, then turned back to Tajima. "Where's Mihashi?" Tajima looked to Sakaeguchi, who shrugged. "The last time I saw him, he was out on the front steps." Abe let go of the cleanup's shoulder. "Thanks." He mumbled, and then he was off.

Abe shoved his way through the crowd, not really caring whose drink he just spilled. When he got to the front door, he found an empty lawn. No Mihashi in sight. About to groan and leave, Abe heard a peculiar sound. Upon listening closer, he found that he knew this sound all too well.

There was someone crying nearby, and it wasn't just any crying. His pitcher was crying. Abe sighed, shoved his hands in his pockets, and walked down the steps toward the bushes in the corner of the lawn. Sure enough, there he was, curled up in a ball and wedged between two of the bushes.

Abe dropped into a crouch, looking to catch Mihashi's attention, and in doing so, his heart skipped a beat. He wasn't normally worried by Mihashi crying; the kid cries almost every day. This was different. This time, bruises lay on his face. Scratches and scrapes littered the body, and he was definitly going to have a black eye later.

Abe didn't know what to do. One time, back before they had ever even played a game together, Abe had found Mihashi backed up against a wall, sobbing as his former catcher threatened to break his arm. Again. At that moment, Abe didn't have to know what to do. He simply walked up to the pair, and the bully left. Then Abe had to deal with the terrified Mihashi. The terrified, yet physically unharmed Mihashi. Unharmed because Abe showed up in time.

Abe didn't show up. Not this time. This time, Mihashi was hurt. Someone hurt his Mihashi, and he didn't know what to do. Shakily, he reached out a hand, and dropped it on Mihashi's shoulder. Mihashi jumped, and whipped his head up. "A-Abe...kun?" He managed. A hiccup emitted from the pitcher, and Abe's heart dropped to his stomach. He felt terrible. If he had showed up earlier, he could've prevented this.

"What happened?" Abe asked, in a tone even he didn't think he was capable of speaking in. His voice was soft, something neither of them had really heard before. "I-I... They... She... I just wanted to..." Mihashi wheezed, and was back to full on sobbing once again. Abe sighed. Once again surprising himself, he reached over and brushed some hair behind Mihashi's ears, and wedged himself between the bushes, too.

"You should come out. I'll walk you home." Mihashi shook his head. "You'll be safer at home." Mihashi shook his head a second time, and Abe began to get frustrated. "Mihashi, you can be properly treated-" Mihashi cut him off. "I'm... Not coming out." Abe groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "Why not?" Mihashi opened his mouth, then closed it, then opened it again, and his eyes darted around the area. "I... If I come out, they might... Hurt me again!" He swallowed, and focused on a ladybug next to him. "Who's they?" Mihashi licked his lips, keeping his focus on the red insect.

"I... I don't know. But they... Didn't want me t-to pitch." Abe raised a brow. "Oh."

"I, um, think they were just drunk." Abe nodded in agreement. "If they were random people, how did they know you were a pitcher?" Mihashi shook his head. "I-"

"You don't know. Got it." Mihashi looked up from the ladybug, and stared at Abe. It felt like forever until one of them moved. When one did, it was Abe. He leaned forward, put one arm around Mihashi's shoulders, the other hand on the back of his head, and pulled him in. Mihashi wheezed, and hugged his catcher back. He shoved his face into the crook of Abe's neck, and cried.

Abe never particularily liked parties. He was always overwhelmed, and memories were never made. At least not ones worth remembering. Now, Mihashi was hurt, and he liked them even less. He didn't understand, he didn't know what to say. So he awkwardly rubbed Mihashi's shoulder, and hoped for the best.

Rain started to drizzle, but neither of them seemed to mind. If anything, they enjoyed it. It was cooling, and fresh, unlike the stuffy house where the party took place. It was just him and Mihashi, catcher and pitcher. Mihashi would shudder once or twice, but all in all, the two felt safe here.

It was then, on that night, in that moment, that Abe figured it out. It would get in the way later, frustrate him and make him even more jealous, and even more protective, but right then and there, it felt good. It felt good to realize it, to know how he feels. He didn't have to question himself in the mirror. He just had to do his best.

It was calm.

******

Hi, sorry for the really out of character Abe. Also sorry for writing this while they were still using last names. I'm very tired and I kind of just wrote this for fun. I'm working on a better one, though. Have a good day/night!