Chapter 1: Screaming Shadows

I got home around 7:30 pm, dreading the next day. I has failed my driver's test, and even got a B on my report card. Good going, Sydney. I hopped in my bed, ignoring the phone buzzing on my nightstand. Right now all I wanted was sleep, to take my to a place far away from here. I combed my frizzy caramel colored hair and slipped into my PJ's. I dared to look in the mirror as I scrubbed my teeth, only to hear a voice in my head saying, what a disappointment. I trudged off to bed, pulling the sheets up to my chin, and waiting for sleep to overtake me.

*************
I dreamt of sandy beaches, and white capped waves washing up onto them. I felt as though the briny air was rushing toward me, pulling at my hair. But in that beauty, I heard the worst noise I could have ever imagined. I opened my eyes, and saw that I was definitely not in my room. I was being carried through the air, by a ghostly black figure. The sound of its horrible screaming was even worse than the height at which I dangled. I had an extreme fear of heights. I looked down, regretting the decision immediately. The glowing city of Georgia laid out below me, and between my fear and the screeching monster, I felt eerily calm. If death ever comes, I will welcome it with open arms.

And just as that crossed my mind, black dots danced across my eyes. I lost sight of the beautiful city, but never the sound of the screaming shadow.

*************
I woke with a start, gasping for air. I looked at my surroundings, searching for my captor. But as I looked around, I saw that I was laying on the beach I had dreamed about. I have absolutely lost it. I knew I was dreaming. I had to be dreaming! But the waves washing up to my toes felt so real. I was wearing the same outfit I went to sleep in: a Grand ol' Opry T-shirt, athletic shorts, and my M&Ms ankle socks. This isn't real, this isn't real. You just had a bad day, calm down. But the thoughts running around in my head, had the opposite effect.

Before I knew it, I was pacing the beach, holding my arms against my stomach. My breathing became ragged, and became worse as I stared into the dense jungle just beyond the sand. Where the heck am I! I wandered closer towards the vegetation, only to see it got darker the farther in. I shuddered. I turned back towards the sea, looking at the night sky, and yelling my thoughts aloud at the moon above.

"This is just a dream!" I screamed at the night sky. And when I did so, I heard footsteps. I jerked around, and faced a boy.

"I beg to differ, darling," he said with a smirk. He had caramel colored hair like me, but had the most beautiful green eyes.

"Then where am I?" I said scrutinizing his face. He noticed my frustration, and raised his hands in the air.

"You are the one who called my Shadow. You are the one who wished to come to Neverland."

"Your Shadow!?!Neverland?!? This has to be a joke!" this only made him roll his eyes.

"Calm down, darling. I will explain everything once we reach camp," he said pointing towards the dense jungle. I couldn't help but love his voice, it sounded British.

"My name isn't 'darling', it's Sydney. What's your name?" I said in curiosity. He took my arm, and pulled me into the trees.

"My name is Peter Pan, but you must call me Pan."

*************
We walked through the underbrush. I kept getting my hair stuck in all the vines, even though he did his best to hold them back for me. I could barely make out his silhouette in front of me, so I did my best to follow without wanting to hold on to him. I am walking through a forest, following a complete stranger. This gives a whole new meaning to the word 'dumb'. Not paying any attention, I ran straight into Pan.

"Would you please watch where you're going!" he hissed.

Stumbling back a few steps, I managed to whisper, "Sorry."

I mentally scolded myself the rest of the journey, which only lasted a few minutes. There was clearing up ahead, and bright light shining in it, I even heard laughter. Pan seemed to quicken his pace, so I did, only to trip over roots lining the path. I heard him sigh, and he turned around.

"I swear you are the clumsiest person I have ever met, darling," Pan said helping me to my feet.

"Sorry, it's my job description," I said brushing my shorts off. He smiled, and this made me giggle. Wait, I never 'giggle'. Before I could fully process this, he again grabbed my arm, and dragged me toward the clearing.

"I am back boys! Welcome our new Lost Boy, or should I say Lost Girl," Pan said as he motioned towards me. I looked at the five cloaked figures surrounding the fire.

"Her name is Sydney, and let's introduce ourselves! We are the Lost Boys." Pan said pointing to the group around the fire.

The biggest boy stood up, and he had dark skin and short cropped hair, and he looked around my age," My name is Ivan, nice to meet you miss Sydney."

Another boy stood, pulling back his hood to reveal his curly hair and freckles," My name is Tommy, but I go by Tom," he said pulling his hood back over his face. He looked about 12.

Two boys got up at once, and they both looked around the same height and age," Our names are Jackson and Johnny!" they said in unison. I could tell they were around 9 or so.

The last boy stood up, he had blonde hair and piercing blue eyes," My name is Cameron." He also looked around my age, 16. But something told me he didn't like me all to well.

"It is very nice to meet you all, thank you," I said my voice wavering.

"Now that introductions are over, I believe it's time for lights out!" Pan shouted, and the boys rushed to put the flames out.

"I thought you were going to explain everything when we got to camp!" I told Pan, getting frustrated again.

"It's late and you need some sleep, darling. I will have Tom give you a tour tomorrow." he pointed to a little cabin as he said this,"And that is where you will be sleeping."

"Fine. Good night!" I stomped off towards the cabin.

"Oh Sydney!" he called.

"What!"

"Welcome to Neverland," he said with a wry smile.

I turned on my heel, and opened the door to the cabin. It consisted of a simple bed, with white cotton sheets, and a little bathroom. I plopped down on the bed, and laid my head on the pillow. This was just a dream, when you wake up, everything will go back to normal.

*************

Thank you for reading!