Chapter 10

Arthur could not bring himself to visit Alfred the next day. He quickly reverted to old habits and spent the day losing himself in work: upset, distraught, and wondering what the hell he was doing deliberately staying away from Alfred. Arthur always hoped that the noise and commotion of the pub would take his mind off everything. It never did. While some part of him recognised that he was trying to avoid the same soul crushing hurt he had just gone through, he knew at the same time that all he was doing was hurting himself more. Arthur barely slept that night, stunned at how much he missed Alfred after one day, and feeling desperately guilty for breaking his promise to visit.

Arthur woke early the next day, determined to visit Alfred before opening the pub. He stood inside his front door, glaring at it, trying to work up the courage to walk out of it, when it suddenly slammed open and he jumped in surprise. Then he choked back a gasp when Alfred walked through it and stood right in front of him. Dressed once again in his uniform and bomber jacket, his cap at an angle on his head, Alfred was like a vision out of one of Arthur's all too frequent dreams. Only he was wearing glasses. Arthur stared at him, stunned. "What are you... but... I..." He had no idea what to say. "I thought I locked that door!"

"Why didn't you come back?"

Arthur almost took a step back from the fiery look in Alfred's eyes. "Alfred, it was only one day, I... I was just upset when that officer said they were..." Arthur blinked a few times. "...sending you home."

Alfred looked incredulous. "Arthur, I was always going to go back to America one day. You must have known that."

The sudden pain in Arthur's chest was overwhelming. But of course. It never meant anything to Alfred. He was always planning to go home and leave him. Arthur could almost feel his heart breaking. But he just narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth to respond angrily, to shout and scream and yell at Alfred to leave then, go back to America and never come back. But Alfred continued before he had the chance.

"But didn't I promise that I would always come back to you?"

All the hurt and anger suddenly deflated and Arthur was left just feeling confused. "Pardon?"

"You're a damned sensitive guy at times, Arthur, for all you try to act so tough." Alfred sighed and his eyes softened. "Not that I don't understand it. Yesterday, I waited and waited and when you didn't turn up, I... I thought..." Alfred broke off and looked down at the floor, blinking rapidly. "I thought you must be done with me."

Arthur gasped. He'd never heard a more preposterous notion. "Done with you? How could you even..."

"You were always trying to leave. And you never wanted to touch me. And..."

"There were guards outside your room twenty-four hours a day - if I didn't touch you it was because I was afraid of arousing suspicion! Of course I wanted to touch you, I thought I made that perfectly clear in that bloody cupboard! I've been positively aching to touch you..."

Then it suddenly hit them both at the same time. What the hell were they talking about? Why did any of it matter? They were alone. No doctors, no nurses, no guards... After a second's pause that felt like an hour, Arthur fell desperately against Alfred, who grasped him so frantically he nearly lifted him off the ground. Their lips met almost violently, teeth clashing, and Arthur choked back a moan at the feeling of completion and relief. This wasn't a stolen kiss in a hallway cupboard. This was every ounce of longing and desire Arthur had held for so long pouring out at once. This was the culmination of all those months of waiting and fear and loneliness. This was what he had longed for for so long and so much that it felt like the only thing in the world he had ever wanted. Alfred in his arms, kissing him, wanting Arthur like Arthur wanted him; no one to stop them and nothing between them. This almost couldn't be real.