Chapter 13

Adeline
I wake up with my bed sheet on the end of my bed and my pajama pants rolled up to my thighs.I scratch my head, confused.I sit up and grab my phone.
Me: Heyyyy😊

.•{.........}

Aden: hi pretty girl. ❤️
Me: Whatchu up to?
Aden: Nothin much hbu?
Me: Laying in bed.
Aden: Can I join?
Me: sure😊
A few minutes later Aden is tip toeing to my room with his pajamas on. He crawls into my bed and we lay in silence. I feel him tug my hand under the sheets.I move my hand so Its closer to him. He passes a box shaped like a heart. I take it out from under the covers. Its a chocolate box. I go close to him and peck him on the cheek. He turns so he is facing me and gives me a kiss on my forehead. "I love you."
"I love you too."
We lay in silence for about 30 min.
I smile at him.I take his hand and drag him out of the bed.I open the window and climb out. I go onto the roof and sit. "Come on Aden.Dont be a scary cat." He appears next to me.He crosses his legs just like me. I look around. Sweet home Chicago, I think to myself.
He takes my hand in his. I feel my phone vibrate on my butt pocket. I take it out. I got a call from a random number. I answer it anyway.
"Hello?"
"Hi. Are you Adeline?"
"Yes,thats me."
"Oh ok.Remember me? I am the doctor who treated your mom the other day at the hospital."
"Oh yeah. Hello. Is there a problem?"
"Yeah. I think you should come over.And quick. Your mom is getting really sick and its getting hard for her to breath."
"Oh um. Ok ill be there soon."
"Ok.Seen you then."
I hang up and go back into my room. "Adie, is there a problem?"
"Yeah. My mom shes getting bad. Can you go wake up Vicky?"
"Sure I ll be back."
He leaves and I change.I put on tight joggers with my maroon crop top and black and maroon Jordans. I make a messy bun and go into the room Vicky was staying in.
She is grabbing her phone and putting some leggings on. I nod to her and go downstairs. I brush my teeth in the bathroom downstairs. "Ready?" Aden asks me and Vicky. "Yeah." We answer back.
We get into the car and I start shaking again. The hospital is an hour away and that makes me anxious. I try to stay calm and look out the window. I put my headphones on and listen to music. If Only by Dove Cameron comes on.⬆️ Tears slide down,a lot of tears. I look down.At Aden and Vicky and back outside.
Suddenly a phone call stops the music. I look at my phone and notice the familiar phone number. The hospital. I answer fast.
"Hello?" I hear my voice tremble.
"Adeline?"
"Yes sir."
"Im sorry."
"For what?" My hearts beats out of my chest.
"Your mom."
I squeeze my eyes hard.
"Mom." I manage to say and start crying again. I hang up the phone. "Aden hurry up!"
"Im going! Calm yourself!"
"How am I supposed to cal-" i notice I am screaming at Aden for no reason.
"Im sorry."
"No,I am sorry."

I run out the car tears flying away with the wind. Mom. I keep whispering. I go to the stairs instead of the elevator to get there faster.
I run into the room without permission.
And all I see is my mom,half covered with a black bag.No tubes,no carts. Just my mom in a black bag on the bed. I kneel next to her. "Mom!" I put her pale face in my hands. Her skin feels hard and cold. I never noticed how beautiful she is. She has the tight jawline like I do.Her eyebrows are perfect.Her skin,perfect. She has no age  marks,nothing. She is wearing the blue cotton robe she had been wearing the last time I saw her. "I never got to say goodbye." I say right when Aden and Vicky enter the room. "Why didn't these fuckers say anything! They didn't say they were putting her in a bag! And then they leave her like this!" He points at my mom. Victoria takes a hand and puts it on Aden's shoulder. "Not the time." I admire my mom for sometime while Vicky and Aden wait outside. A Asian doctor comes into the room.

 "Why didn't you guys say you would do this! That is just a stupid idea!" I scream at him.

 "Ma'am calm down."

 "How am I supposed to calm down when you idiots packed my mom in a bag and are already to send her away without even telling me?" The man stays silent.

 "What do i do now?" I ask him expecting him to answer. "You will have to plan the funeral.

The only day open for the funeral is Saturday, tomorrow. 

In the car ride home its silent like last time. But this time even the breathing is slow. 

I open the door to my house. Emptiness. I step into my house knowing that my mom won't come back and say I love you or even give me a hug. I cry. Now..I have noone. I turn and see Vicky and Aden. But, I got my two best friends. I run to them and give them a hug. "I love you guys soo much. You are always there for me and I truly admire that." They smile and give me hugs back. "Want a cup of hot cocoa?" Vicky asks breaking the silence. "Duh." Aden says with a smirk. He wraps his arm around my neck and pulls me closer. He whispers I love you  with his warm breath on my neck again. I answer back but this time I dont want to whisper. I want the whole world to know. As much as I can try not everyone will know that. I let my hands out and scream "I LOVE YOU TOO ADEN!" on the top of my lungs. Vicky and Aden both start laughing. 

I take my pajamas and go into my bathroom. I hear the sounds of cars in Fast and Furious downstairs. I go into the shower. I feel the hot water hit my skin. Most of the time I would want to change the water and calm my body down. But this time, I leave it. I feel drops but no pain.

I get out and dress into my pajamas. I go downstairs and see Aden and Vicky watching tv. I stay on thr stairs and just stare at them.I notice a smile appear on my face and then I notice that I look like a creep. I walk to them and sit in between them. Aden puts his arm around me. I lay my head on his shoulder. I just think about the journey that we have had. I smile at the thought. I give Aden a kiss on the cheek. Then I turn and give Vicky a hug. Out of the nowhere Vicky randomly says "I live here now." Me and Aden turn to look at her. "What!" Aden screams and gets out of his comfortable position on the couch. Vicky continues like its no big deal.  "Well, this is my home town after all. Adeline doesnt have parents, so I decided that I can be your big sister and take care of you., And Aden I cant go a day without looking at your funny face. You see I love you guys like brother and sister. But now that you are..something its easier. We need to continue the story we never finished." I smile really big and tackle  her. "I love you like a sister, too. I am so happy." Vicky rubs her knuckle on my head. "Ow what was that for?" 

"You don't remember?" I open my eyes remembering the times we would all do that to each other. It was our 'thing'. The next thing you know me, Aden and Vicky are tackling each other and rubbing knuckles on each others heads. 

We sit back down and continue the movie. I look out and see all other city lights on. "Ill be back." I say to Aden and Vicky. I go out to the porch and look out.I put my elbows on the edge of the handle. I smile and think of my mom. A tear slides down. But I still keep my smile. A few minutes later Aden comes out with me. "Hey." He says in a hot soothing voice. "Hi." 

"Whatchu thinking about?"

"Everything."

"Is 'everything' ok?"

"Yeah, its great. I'm sorry we don't get to go to the bulls tomorrow."

"It fine.You stay so strong. That's my girl."

I smile at his saying. "Thanks. Aden don't you sometimes think: that's these past few years everything has gone by so fast. We are going to be graduating."

He smiles too. "Yeah. And we will soon be getting married and have kids."

I laugh. "As much as I love you, I'm not ready for that."

He chuckles. "I understand."

I get closer to him and lay my head on his shoulder again. "Life am I right?" He asks. "Yeah. Life." He kisses me. We smile at each other. I look back at the lights.I then look at the stars. One of those are mom.  I try to find the most shining star. That one is my mom. I think when I find it. I look at Aden. A star shines in his eyes. Yup, that's my mom. 

And that's how I fell in love, with my best friend. Aden.