Chapter 16

"How could that happen?" A faint voice in the distance said. The voice sounded close, yet far away, which confused my dazed self.

"I don't know..." Another one spoke. The voices sounded familiar, but I couldn't place who exactly was speaking.

I was in a world of darkness. Like I was trapped in a black cave with no ending. My eyelids refused to open. To let the light, shine into the dark world I was currently enveloped in.

"I can't believe it... I saw it. I saw it in him." A whisper of a voice said. Saw what? I thought.

I wondered where I was. The last thing I remember happening was getting dizzy, then falling unconscious. But how? Why? It made absolute no sense. What was the trigger?

Before I could think more about my predicament, I fell unconscious, once more.

___________________________

"I think he's waking up! Guys, guys! Come here!" A feminine voice shouted. The sound hurt my ears, and I quietly groaned in response.

I heard footsteps approaching, and the sound of murmurs.

I tried opening my eyes, with luck this time. I was temporarily blinded by the fluorescent lights that hung above me, and couldn't help but put my hand up to shield my eyes. Once my vision had adjusted to the light, I took in my surroundings.

I was in a room, the room I was given when I first came to the abandoned warehouse. I was lying, helplessly on the soft, grey blanketed bed, with a damp cloth on my forehead.

Five people were standing all around me, watching me intently, like they were expecting me to give them an order. I quickly recognized the people, as the werewolves I was training with when I fell unconscious. I was surprised to see Atticus, standing at the end of my bed, watching me with a look of worry, plastered on his gruff face. The last time I saw him, he called me worthless, I don't know why he was even here.

"H-how are you feeling, Henry?" Reagan asked me in a soft tone of voice.

I turned to look into her big brown eyes and answered, "Fine, I guess." My voice was sore and coarse, and I immediately coughed after speaking.

The honey brown haired man that fought Atticus first at training, quickly handed me a glass of cold water. I took the glass without hesitation and gulped down the refreshing drink in seconds. After I was finished, I set the empty glass on the wooden bedside table.

I cleared my throat, and spoke, "What happened?" My voice was less coarse now, and no longer was I bothered with the sore throat.

The five all gave each other nervous looks, then faced me again, "It's complicated. In fact, we don't really know what happened." Reagan said, looking down at the blankets on my bed. I furrowed my eyebrows at her answer.

"Well you must know something." I insisted. Again, the five exchanged nervous glances.

"We believe that we saw..." Reagan trailed off, seeming like she had trouble finding the words. I raised an eyebrow, and leaned forward, wanting her to go on.

Reagan bit her lip, then spoke, "You're a... Filtiarn." She said, then looked like a weight had been lifted off of her shoulders. The others all kept straight faces, yet I saw hints of worry in their eyes.

I cocked my head to the side, "A what?" I asked.

"A Filtiarn. They're rare, and very powerful. We believe you're one of them." Atticus said, not making eye contact with me.

"But, what are they? What does it mean?" I asked.

Atticus sighed, and continued, "A Filtiarn, is, like a leader. They're like the alphas of werewolf packs. In most places. Filtiarn means the Lord of wolves." I listened intently, with my eyes wide.

"But, I'm no leader." I admitted. It was true. I couldn't even lead one person if I tried. How could I be the 'Lord of wolves'?

"Well, believe it if you may. We saw it before you passed out... It was the eyes of a Filtiarn." Atticus responded. I frowned, "Eyes of a Filtiarn." I asked.

Reagan nodded, "You can always tell the eyes of a Filtiarn. They're like a steel grey in colour. And they're filled with power, they can make any werewolf quiver in fear." She explained. So that's why they were all scared of me. I said to myself.

"But, why am I a Filtiarn?" I then asked. It seemed like none of them had the answer, but Atticus spoke anyways, "We don't know for sure... Our knowledge on Filtiarns is very limited. But we think it happened when you knocked me over during training. Your wolf side must've thought that as dominance, and decided to show everyone who's alpha." I stared off into space. This all made no sense. Ever since Aiden told me he was a vampire, everything has made no complete sense.

"So, that means that I'm-" I started but got cut off by Atticus, "Alpha, yeah." He said in a disappointed voice. I guessed that he must've been alpha before I came.

"What now then?" I asked the five. They shrugged, and Reagan answered, "Just get some rest and think things through. We'll check on you in a little bit." I nodded in response, then watched them leave my room. All except for Atticus.

Once the door had shut behind the other four, Atticus came to the side of my bed.

"You know, that being a Filtiarn, means that you can shift at will." He said. My heart stopped. The words didn't process in my mind for a couple seconds, but when they did, my eyes grew wide. Not with excitement, but with fear.

"Bu-" I started, but Atticus was already making for the door. As he was just about out of my room, he said, "Meet me tomorrow in the gym, I'll teach you everything." And with that, he left, closing the door behind him. Leaving me alone with my fear filled thoughts.