Chapter 1

A/N: Feel free to comment what you think about the story

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I remember it all like it was yesterday. "Quit your whining boy, and leave!" My father yelled at me, while I was limping to my room. That day he must have been especially mad, because he hit me harder than usual. Once I got to my room I examined the damage that has been done. My ribs were purple with yellow splotches appearing, and I'm sure my face looked even worse. I looked out the window and I saw all of the other kids starting to go trick or treating. I sighed, another Halloween that I didn't get to enjoy. I decided to lay on my bed in hopes of finding comfort. Soon sleep took over me and I drifted off to the only place I could find comfort, my dreams.

About an hour later after I had woken up, I walked down stairs and I couldn't see my parents. I didn't go looking for them in hopes of some peace for the few moments I have alone. I then heard the sound of a car outside, and I peeked out the window, in case it was my parents, I didn't want them to see me downstairs, especially after my dad told me to leave. It was them, I stood there in shock thinking about what would happen if they saw me here. Once I heard the key get inserted into the lock, I realized that I had few moments to act before my parents came into the house. I ran into the kitchen right when the door opened, with nowhere to go I ran into the cupboard. I was so nervous, it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. Moments later I heard the stairs creaking signaling that someone was going upstairs. Now's my chance, but as soon as I moved to open the cupboard door the eerie silence was shattered by an ear piercing scream that sent shivers racking through my body. I'll always remember that scream it was the scream that would haunt my dreams for nights to come.

I sat back down in the cupboard terrified of what was happening, and what was going to happen. A few seconds later came another scream. I sank deeper into the cupboard the only sound that could be heard was my heart pounding in my ears and the sound of my breathing coming out in short ragged pants, but soon enough I heard the sound of footsteps descending from the stairs and enter into the kitchen. Then the water in the sink turned on, and it sounded like someone was washing something. My leg was starting to hurt from being in this position for what seemed like hours, so I moved it. I shouldn't have done that because my leg slipped and my knee hit the cupboard wall with a smack. I held my breath as the water came to an abrupt stop. I can still hear the sound of this thing's feet landing on the floor as it walked closer and closer to me, how much fear I felt, and how it felt like everything was just over. Suddenly this person or thing or whatever it was suddenly stopped right in front of the door.

I almost had a heart attack as the door to the cupboard slowly inched open, and I squeezed my eyes shut hoping that whatever was coming would come fast. Then this thing talked "Come child. Open your eyes, I'm not going to hurt you." I opened my eyes in shock, I was so confused. Was this supposed to happen? "Why are you doing this" I whispered into the room that was soon draped in silence. He waited a minute before he answered. "Someone has to do this, I am a halloween spirit, each year we choose a house that has a child who can become a spirit, and if said child declines they shall be killed." This spirit said in such an ominous voice it sent shivers down my spine. "Kill me then, I don't want to be a spirit or whatever it is." I was practically begging him, but he shook his head. "I'm afraid you have to come with me." "Why?" I asked angry and confused. "You are already a halloween spirit, you have been since your dad killed you that Halloween night three years ago."