Just A Little More Heartbreak

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage."

―Seneca

     Bella couldn't believe it, she just couldn't. Her phone was still clutched in her slim-fingered hand, the dreaded picture still shining its taunting light. She began to run, out the door, into the darkened street, the only lighting that of the dim, flickering streetlights. This lack of light did not bother her, after three and a half years of walking to her boyfriend, Edward's, dorm, she knew the way blindfolded. Her slim legs, clothed only in the shortest of shorts, sped more swiftly than they had ever before, her ever-present clumsiness seemingly disappeared into the dark background. Yet, Bella did not notice this. All she could see was the dreadful image, seared into her brain. Tears were streaming down her face as she threw open the dorm building's door, it barely visible through the sheen of tears filling her once-joyful brown eyes. The petite girl raced up to the second story, climbing the stairs as ferocious as a star linebacker, her pace never faltering. In her head she counted the doors on the left side of the dull, colorless walls. One, two, three, four... Five!

     Bella stopped in front of the deceivingly simple door, oh how well she knew what was behind that door was certainly not simplistic. She reached slowly towards the silver-plated handle and pushed it quickly open, her eyes barely squinting in the glare of the harsh fluorescent lights. She searched the living room quickly, looking everywhere. It was here that she heard the horrific sounds, slightly muffled, telling her the source was not in this room. She raced to the left, down a short hallway with only three doors down it, her eyes set on the farthest one. It was closed, she could see from here. To the door she ran, unsure and truly terrified of what she could find, if the text she had gotten were true. This door belonged to her beloved Edward, his room lay behind it, the holder of so many peaceful memories. She clutched to these memories, ones of play-fighting on the bed, giggles escaping her lips, her face red from the exertion. She remembered sitting on the couch, listening to classical music, simply content to be sitting in his arms. As she reached for the door, she thought of how he had held her only weeks before, after the loss of his adopted sisters and Bella's best friends. He had tears in his eyes, but Bella's were streaming down, much like they were now. She gripped the doorknob, slowly turning it and throwing the door open.

     The scene before her was horrific. There he lay, with that slut, entwined in a way that Bella had once hoped they would be, only after marriage, of course. The scene did not surprise the young girl, it only proved that the image she had received on her phone was no fake. No, he had truly cheated on her, after three years! Three happy years! And only weeks after the death of his sisters too, Bella's best friends! She could not imagine what had driven him to do this. After all, he had been the one who first brought up waiting until marriage. He had said they would be fine without sex, that they were in love, and other trivial things like sex could wait. Bella grew angrier and angrier, furious at the fact that he would do this to her! She stood in the doorway until he finally noticed her, shocked, but he did not look guilty.

     "Oops," he said in mocking voice," looks like we're caught, baby."

     At this, the slut he lay with, otherwise named Lauren Mallory, sat up, not caring that she was very inappropriately exposed. Bella was furious at her too! She had a boyfriend, Mike Newton, a sweet boy Bella had known all her life, when they had lived in Forks, Washington. They had both been the best of friends, and were overjoyed to know they had both gotten into Twilight Boarding School, a prestigious high school all the way in New York. When he had met Lauren and Bella had met Edward, they had remained friends, just from more of a distance, spending most of their time with their "significant other." How could Lauren do this to such a sweet boy as Mike? Bella stalked angrily into the room, careful to step over their carelessly thrown clothes. She walked right up to them, neither of them bothering to cover their "assets," not that either of them were particularly endowed with much, she noticed. Even so, Lauren smirked smugly at her while Edward looked simply uninterested.