chapter one

May 1558-July 1558 

Alencon, France

"Do you really think you are leaving us, Colette? I think I would miss you far too much! Please don't go!", young Cecile said to her oldest sister.

All three young girls laid in the dirt looking up at the sky. They knew their days together were numbered. They were all still so young to leave each other. Colette would be the first to leave their home for what they knew was forever. Even at the age of ten and two, Colette was a beauty and that coupled with her family's title and wealth she would marry a Duc for sure. While she would stay in France she would have no time for childish games or staring up at the sky with her sisters.

"I know that is what father has planned. But Paris isn't all that far away from home. Maybe after I wed my husband will let us visit court so I can see both of you again and help you as I know the good Queen will help me", Colette said sitting up to look at the dark brown eyes of her youngest sister.

"What do you have to complain about, Colette. And why do you feel sad at her leaving us, Cecile?", Antoinette, the middle sister, said still staring up into the clouds, " She gets new dresses for court and do you know what we get? Years of waiting to be of age to go to court. I say Godspeed to you, sister"

Colette looked down at her sister. Her temper was just as red as her hair and her envy as green as her eyes. Colette didn't have it in her to tell her sister that she was dreading the day she was sent to court. One of their cousins had wrote to Colette upon hearing of her journey to court herself. The older girl warned Colette about how cruel Queen Catherine was to her Ladies-In-Waiting, especially the pretty ones. It was not something she dreamed about but had nightmares about. She had tried speaking to her mother about it but her fathers mind was set and her mother warned her eldest child not to test her father. Colette had left it at that.

All three girls laid in silence all consumed with their own thoughts. Colette's thoughts were mostly of seeing her cousin the King and dancing with the pretty ladies and handsome lords. Dreams of a secret prince stealing her away to wed.

Antoinette gave an exasperated sigh and say up to look at her sisters, both older and younger. She couldn't stand to see such perfection in her sisters. She pulled herself up and ran back to their home.

"Colette....I know you worry over Antoinette as I do. She only fears losing you, more so then I", Cecile said, sounding older the her eight years.

"I don't want to lose either of you. But I also fear this new court. Mother has no advise for me other than to make a good marriage with a Duc or Comte. I want to act reassuring for both you and Antoinette but I have failed that that respect-", Colette choked out.

Cecile reached her hand over to her sisters and closed around it. She have two gentle squeezes.

"I actually made something for you to bring to court. I knew you will like the simple thought to it", Cecile said as she pulled something out of her bodice and laid it on her sisters chest.

Colette smiled and she grabbed the smooth fabric on her chest and brought it to her face. Smiling, Colette looked at her sister and raised the hand already in her to her mouth for a kiss.

"I know you will find some lord worthy of your favor and you can give him that. I love you, Colette", Cecile said and pulled herself up and skipping to their home.

Colette didn't move and inch, but instead held her sisters dear gift to her face and fell into a deep sleep.

------------------------------------------------

She dreamt of a dark figure standing over her sleeping form. The mystery person pulled a small dagger from their cloak. The metal glimmered in the moonlight and the figure moved close to Colette. She tried to move but was unable move.