Chapter Seven: Hyrule

Ghirahim cracked one eye open when he heard a shift in Link's breathing patterns. Before, it was a count of in- two, three, out- two, three; like a waltz. The pattern shifted a little, halting for a moment and then starting back up, just slightly quicker than before. It was barely enough to be noticed, but considering the fact that Ghirahim had been laying there for hours now, of course he would hear it.

He didn't move, however, and merely waited for Link to say something.

The blonde didn't speak at first, but he relaxed his tense muscles, which were now sore from being so stiff for so long. Rather than move, Link decided to think on what had happened.

I await you, Hero.

He was no hero, although some may consider him one. He merely had a good sword - with a literal mind of its own - and a firm hand to hold it. Even if he was some great Hero, there were no enemies that he had made in this life, other than the Bokoblins that weren't nearly intelligent enough to contact him mentally, never mind assault him.

The logical explanation was that it was someone he had made a foe of in his past life, but that had been more than a hundred years ago, as Fate claimed. And although she had stated that some of his 'acquaintances' had survived to be that old, what were the chances that his enemy had?

Taking a second glance at it, he supposed that it was entirely possible.

He had died that long ago, likely at a moderately young age if people he knew were still alive. The real question was...at whose hand did he die to?

Could it be Ghirahim who killed him? Could Fate merely be lying to him, and be entirely loyal to the demon but unwilling to reveal the information of their past lives for that reason?

But then, Link thought, focusing his attention on the slim body draped over his, in a resting position, why would he think so fondly of Ghirahim after knowing him for such little time? Why would Link feel so tenderly towards him? Why wouldn't he strike while Link was weak?

Then he remembered again - Ghirahim had died before him. There was no way that that had been the cause of his death.

He was about to speak when the demon chose to, instead, impatient with the wait.

"Good morning, sunshine. For a moment I was concerned you wouldn't wake up."

Link felt Ghirahim push himself up, so the blonde opened his eyes, shifting so he was sitting up at least a little. He looked around for Jaden before choosing to respond.

"Have you been here the entire time? What happened? Did you sleep?"

The demon laughed softly. "So many questions~! No, I haven't been here the whole time. I came here late last night just as the boy was about to go search for help. My assumption is that you were out for a while. You scared Jaden very sincerely. And, as an answer to your final question, no, I didn't. I don't sleep."

Link's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. "You can't just not sleep. It's not a life decision that people make."

"No, that's not it," Ghirahim replied with a huff of breath, trying to explain. "I am physically incapable of sleep. Yes, I require rest - which is why I stayed here for so long - but I do not sleep. It's simply not in my nature."

"What happened after you got here?" Link asked, shifting a little so he was resting on his elbows.

Ghirahim pushed a lock of hair into place and replied, "We had a doctor come over and realized that nothing physical had harmed you, and rather that it was something magical. I took a look and found a little dark cloud lingering at the edge of your mind, but it wasn't anything too terribly powerful. I got rid of it after a little while. All traces should be gone."