3: "You'll Figure It Out"

*This story doesn't particularly follow the show. I know a lot of Shadowhunter stories do, but I wanted to be different, in a way.*

Over the next several days, Alana learns so much about new fighting techniques, technology, and other things thanks to the Lightwoods, especially Alec. The fourth day that the group went to Magnus's apartment, when Luke was beginning to get better, Magnus pulled Alana to the side.
"You seem to be getting along well with the Lightwoods." He says, and Alana glances into the living room where the rest of them are.
"Yes, they have been very welcoming."
"Strange, considering they aren't the most friendly people sometimes. Alec can be quite irritable." Magnus smirks, and Alana blushes.
"I'm not sure what you mean, Magnus Bane."
"You will figure it out, Alana." He states, before joining the group in the living room, leaving Alana standing alone in the foyer of the apartment to ponder what he just said.

Nearly a week later, Alana is walking towards the library of the Institute when Isabelle comes into the hallway with her.
"Alana! Wait!" Isabelle calls from down the hallway. Alana stops walking, waiting for the slightly taller girl to catch up.
"I wanted to talk to you." Isabelle says, and Alana puts her hand on the windowsill.
"About what?" She asks, and Isabelle tries to conceal a smile.
"What do you think, Alana?" Isabelle questions, and Alana shrugs.
"You and Alec!" Isabelle whisper-shouts. Alana blushes.
"I don't know what you mean." She replies coolly.
"Oh, please. It's been obvious to me since the day you got here. You have a thing for Alec."
"Is it that obvious?" Alana groans, and Isabelle's smile grows wider.
"To Alec, probably not. He isn't the greatest when it comes to things like this. But to me, Clary, and Magnus? Yes." Isabelle smirks, but the conversation is halted.
"Izzy, Alana! Jace and Clary need us." Alec states, walking closer to the two girls.
"What are you two doing anyway?" He questions, and Alana looks at the floor.
"Just talking." Isabelle says, walking in the direction her brother came from. He looks after her, then turns to Alana.
"You need a weapon." Alec states.
"I'm going?" Alana questions.
"Yes, unless you don't want to, I guess." He shrugs, and Alana follows him back to the main area.
"What did you normally use in London, or what are you good at using?" Alec asks.
"Seraph blade, though I have trained with a bow as well." Alana responds, and Alec hands her a seraph blade.

"Don't be stupid, Jace." Alec states, and Jace gives his Parabatai a look.
"Go, I'll catch up with you outside." Alec insists, and Alana stands beside him.
"We will catch up with you three outside." Alana states, and Isabelle gives her a nice one look. Alec looks at her as Jace, Isabelle, and Clary disappear around the corner.
"Alana, go." He says, holding his bow at the ready.
"Alec, stop being so stubborn. You are just like your ancestors." Alana laughs, but Alec frowns.
"I don't want you to get hurt." He says, causing Alana to blush.
"I'll be alright Alec." She answers, standing behind him, poised and ready to fight.
Ravener Demons come from everywhere, attacking the two Shadowhunters. Alana and Alec fight them off, sending them back to their home realms.
For a while, the two of them have it handled. Alana holds her own, keeping Alec safe, the roles reversed as Alec does the same for her. But when Alana thinks it's clear and the demons are all gone, she turns to Alec in triumph, a mistake on her part.
"I think that we killed them-" She begins, only to be cut off as a Ravener pulls her to the ground.
Alec, of course, has it killed within seconds. Alana struggles to stand, taking Alec's outstretched hand. When Alec looks down at her shirt, he sees that it is torn into strips at the shoulder and covered in blood.
"Alana, you're bleeding." He states, and she collapses toward the floor, Alec just barely catching her before swinging her up in his arms and carrying her out.
"What happened??" Jace asks, seeing his Parabatai carrying a limp Alana.
"Ravener Demon. We need to get her back to the Institute, now." Alec responds, a slight urgency to his voice. Clary and Isabelle share a knowing look, but Jace remains unaware as they hurriedly make their way back to the Institute.

*More of a shorter chapter, but the next one is kind of long, in my opinion. Chapter 4 is a bit more
involved in the building of their relationship. Be aware 😉
Until then.*