|1.|

...

Oregon

...

The woman rolled out of bed with a sigh, listening to her alarm clock blare in her ears for what felt like an eternity. She turned it off immediately, eventually standing up and heading into her bathroom.

...

She ate in silence while she sat at her dining room table, sipping on her coffee. She listened to the news station play from her cellphone. Her hair was in a short ponytail. She wore a long dark green skirt that almost covered her ankles. A white collard shirt that was tucked into it, and a dark green cardigan over it.

This, was her usual work attire. It may not have been the most "modern", but it was what her boss required she and other women in her position wear to work. She didn't mind it. It wasn't very different from the way she already dressed outside of work.

Once she checked the time, she quickly stood up from the table. She gathered her small handbag, gave herself one final look in the mirror, then headed out of her loft.

...

She gave small and shy waves to employees as she entered the large building downtown. Many of which didn't wave back. She held her work assignments up against her chest while she walked through the crowded hallways. She headed directly for her small office, approaching her desk that was only a few doors from the CEO's. She quickly sat down her items, and began to arrange it accordingly onto the desk.

Before she could sit down, a knock on her door startled her slightly. She hated to raise her voice when someone arrived at the office, she each and every time there was a visitor, she got up and headed to the door to open it herself. Her voice was as soft and as light as a feather. Sometimes, if the room wasn't quiet enough, her voice could easily go unnoticed.

She smiled lightly once realizing that it was the CEO. He was a short, dark, and wide man, who always had such a friendly voice beneath his bushy black and grey beard. His head was low cut and greying. "Oh, good morning, Mr. West. How are you?" She asked quietly. "Good morning, Violet. I'm doing fine, how about yourself?" He asked. She gave a single nod. "I'm fine." She said, her arms wrapped across her chest and holding on to each of her elbows.

The man adjusted his dark brown suit jacket. "Good. I'm not sure if you heard the news, but I'm calling everyone to the meeting room in 15 minutes. There is a very important announcement that needs to be made." He said. She gave a nod. "Really? Is everything alright?" She asked. "I'll let everyone know at once. But I'll see you there." He said, giving her a nice smile before heading towards the door.

"Yes, Mr. West." She said. He closed the door lightly, and she gave an awkward wave a few seconds after he left.

...

Violet's feet moved in a shuffle across the floor towards the meeting room. Hundreds of other employees filed towards the room as well, having quiet conversations amongst themselves. Because of her height, she wasn't always seen the way she should have been when walking in large crowds. Sometimes, employees cut her off when filing to a location. She would squeeze through them, pardoning herself and apologizing. Most of the time, they'd scoff and tell her that she should speak up if she wants to get anywhere.

She stood in the mix of the crowd, listening to everyone murmur in confusion about what the meeting would entail. It took about five minutes for the CEO to enter the room, and that's when everyone silenced themselves in desperation to hear him speak.

He smiled to everyone before he began. "Goodmorning my amazing employees of WestDesign. I know that this meeting is sudden and without much explanation, but I have some very important news to share with you all." Said Mr. West. Then, his smile faded into a sigh. This is what made everyone start to have concern.

"I'm sorry to say...that I will be stepping down as CEO." He said. All of the employees released an audible gasp, beginning to express themselves. Some were murmuring to each other, while some asked him questions directly. Violet's mouth dropped open in surprise. "W-what do you mean you're stepping down?"

"Should we be concerned?"

"But you're the best CEO we've ever had."

"Who is going to be the new CEO?"

Dozens of questions came at him at once, but he put his hands up calmly to silence the crowd. "I know that this is a shock to you all, however it must be done. I am now at an age where running a company shouldn't be my past time. I think that it's time this company receives a fresh face. I will miss each and every one of you dearly, but I simply cannot go on. I must rest now." He said.

"So...who's going to replace you?" asked an employee. "There will be interviews held effective immediately, and you will have a new CEO as early as the next two weeks. I will remain here until then." Said Mr. West. Violet stared with a pout.

...

Mr. West released a sigh while sitting in his brown leather office chair. It was after hours now, and he was wrapping up a few pieces of paperwork he had worked on that day. There was a faint knock on his door, to which he told the visitor to enter. Violet peeked her head into the room, her hands folded over one another. "Ah, Violet I see you haven't left yet. I told you that you were free to leave 10 minutes ago. What brings you by?" He asked.

"I-I know Mr. West, but...well..I'm just wondering...what will I do without you as the CEO?" She asked. "What do you mean?" He asked with a chuckle. "I-I mean...you're...the only boss that has never gotten angry with me, or scolded me, and y-you're really nice and you don't shout. You never get upset at me about my mistakes when I send letters, or when I'm too afraid to speak in board meetings. So...what if the new CEO doesn't like me? What If I get fired?" Violet asked, fear simmering in the back of her mind.

"Violet, you may be shy and make a few mistakes, but you're still a very good worker and this company appreciates you. This is your personality. So I'm sure that both you and this company will be fine in the hands of the new CEO. Don't worry." He said, and she smiled softly into her lap. "Okay..." She mumbled.

...

To Be Continued

...

Hmm...Surprised I made this new chapter in a day after unpublishing the same book the same day. There will be some changes made anyway. Also, when a chapter is published it's going to say the same amount of prior reads in addition to the new ones, this is because the chapters were not deleted, but instead unpublished and republished. I'm also republishing this now that the Debutante is nearing its end. However, previous comments will be deleted to avoid confusion within the chapters. Onto the questions.

How do you all like this remake?

What are your thoughts on violet?

How do you think the new CEO will treat the company?

What do you think he will be like?

Until next time!