Chapter 6

I will be fine, I tell myself. I won't pass out, I won't be stopped I will fight. If not for me, for Michael. I spent so many years being shoved around, I'm used to it. I am stronger than I was before and will do anything to stop Michael from turning out like me.

I turn around. In the distance, I can faintly see them catching up. My leg burns as the pain flares from the bullet wound. I have to keep going, I want to but I can't. My body collapses to the floor in a heap. I suck in a breath. Pushing myself up slightly, I turn to my leg. Stitches. The men clearly want us alive or they wouldn't have taken the time to fix up my leg. Blood seeps through the threading and despite having very limited medical knowledge, I could guess running wouldn't help. Weakly, I drag myself towards a fallen tree. It was slanted and leaning on another two trees slightly further away, however, when it fell its roots raised too creating a small dip in the ground, large enough to fit a person. Slowly, I ease myself into the den, huddling into its corner.
"You're on your own for now Mikey," I whisper, pressing a hand over my bloody leg.
I put more pressure on my leg, blinking away the few tears which brim my eyes as I continue to push down on the wound. It was agonising, like nothing I had ever felt before, my head rested back as I squeezed shut my eyes, my lip was clenched between my teeth to compress a scream. Breathe... I remind myself, Just breathe. I attempt to allow the work around me to disperse as a tear runs down my cheek. Breath. I feel my pounding heart begin to slow in my chest as I lightly bump my head against the muddy wall behind me. In and out. Deep breath.
I feel my breath hitch as the rustling of leaves grows closer.
They were catching up, it wasn't long now.
My pulse instantly regained its speed, pounding in my chest.
I had to calm down, I had to calm. My spare hand pressed over my mouth as I stared out into the opening.
Please let Michael be alright...
I watched as a pair of feet scrambled forwards, crashing through the leaves as they took off in the direction Michael and I were heading. A few moments later, the second pair of feet raced passed, their speed wasn't as good as the man in front as the limp in his leg slowed him. Despite all, he continued to limp forwards, following his partners lead.
This gun had 6 bullets, I tell myself, shakily reloading the gun; one bullet shot my leg, and the other shot the abductor. I have 4 left. I could only hope they would hit the target
I force myself forward, dropping onto the slope by the exit of the hole. Dragging myself back to my feet, I limp after them. Soon, the fog grew thinner and the scene before me unravelled.
Michael is held in a headlock, gripping to the mans arm which is pushed firmly around his neck and attempting to force his head away from the gun which is pressed against him.
"I'm gonna ask you again," The man spits, Forcing the gun further into Michaels head, he winces, "Where. Is. The. Girl!"
"You- you won't hurt me," he stutters.
"You seem to have misread the situation. We don't need you alive, we spared you. You have nothing to do with this and ultimately hold no use to us. We won't hurt her, you however, are a different matter" He pauses, allowing the words to sink in, "This is your last chance."
"I-I don't know. She-she never caught up to me!"
His eyes sharpened, "Wrong answer."
My heart stopped, chest constricting as his finger moved to the trigger.
"Stop," I exclaim, forcing myself slightly further forward as I cocked the gun, "You said it yourself, I'm the one you want. So leave him. This is between us."
What is between us? I don't know. I don't exactly want to be in whatever this is but if it gets Michael safe, then I was willing to go with it.
Instantly, Michael is released, thrown to the side like some rag doll. He glances up at me, shock blazing in his eyes as he rubs his neck.
I nod at him, indicating for him to leave.
The men walk forward.
"You're right," He smiles, "This is between us, so how about you raise that gun and end this now. I'll strike you a deal, kill me and we will leave you be."
I click the safety off the gun, staring down it and straight for the mans head. My finger shifts over the trigger, hovering above what would take his life in moments. All it would take is a twitch of my finger and he would be 6" under.
My heart continued to pump, the gun shifting ever so slightly at each pulse. I take in a deep breath and hold it, my eyes locked on him whilst I watch as the gun shifts millimetres to either side.
I blinked, taking another deep breath which I held as I stared at him. The second my eyes re-opened, there were two of him. I could feel the sweat building up on my forehead as I attempt to work out which of the two identical figures was the real man. My leg screamed out of pain and I could feel my body crying out to me as I continue to stare at the man, eyebrows furrowed.
I pull the trigger.
A bang sounds out and my hand jolts upwards at the fire of the gun. Almost instantly, the putt of the bullet meeting a solid object sounds, however neither of the identical men fall. Nor does the one holding Michael.
Bark splinters from the tree as the bullet scrapes its structure.
I missed.