well-trained

I was tired.

The end of the week came and still, the trending gossip about my new boyfriend, football captain of our rival team, still hadn't died down. There were rumors that made our 'love story' a thousand times more exciting than it could ever be. Besides that, talking about Blake was still a heavy topic with my friends– mainly with the boys.

I didn't get them. A few weeks ago, they wanted me to get a boyfriend. They said so themselves when I walked in on Max kissing some girl by his lockers about a month ago. I didn't know her and I still didn't but she blushed when she saw me and I giggled not to be mean but because Max looked just as embarrassed.

I apologized, of course. Then when I saw Max again at lunch the next day, I told everyone about it.

"Get a boyfriend and stop butting into our personal lives!" Max had said. He was joking mostly but kidding or not, I took his advice and they still weren't happy. What was their deal?

I was tired of Blake being such a big deal because he wasn't.

I was tired of the awkwardness that surrounded my lunch table whenever Blake's name came up in the conversation.

I was tired of the load of homework that I had yet to do and the tutoring responsibility for the boy who I could barely consider a friend.

I was exhausted and all I wanted to do was go home and rest for the whole weekend.

Thank God it's Friday.

But right after school, I couldn't go straight home because I had practice and still, we were sharing the football field with the football team a little because they didn't need all that space for drills and stuff and really because the gym was under a minor construction that would last a week or two at most.

The cheerleading squad only took up a small amount of space in the corner of the field but when we took short breaks or breathers, nothing stopped the girls from watching the boys practice. I rolled my eyes with a small smile before wiping the trickle of sweat that rested on my forehead.

It was hot.

No, I wasn't talking about the football players. It was scorching outside and I felt like I was melting. If only it was ladylike, I would've dumped my ice-cold water on my head to cool me off like the boys were doing. Even if it was acceptable, no one in the squad did that, not even the boys, so I figured that it wasn't proper.

Aside from drooling over football players, the other girls who hadn't dedicated themselves to hating the Eastmoor kids more than they should were the typical gossip crazy cheerleaders, wanting to know every single detail about their captain's new boy and it was fun feeling like a girl and talking about a boy whether or not me made me feel butterflies in my stomach.

But Blake was the showy type. Like he wanted to make sure that people saw as together. He liked to pick me up from school as much as he could despite knowing the trouble he was causing me and in that way, I knew he wasn't the perfect boyfriend I had always dreamed of. Blake was also extremely fond of PDA, unsurprisingly ever more so whenever his friends or Austin were watching. Of course, since I wasn't the easy type, the making out was kept at a minimum, which was close to nothing but kisses on my cheek and forehead and extra hugging more than made up for it.

I made sure to tell the cheerleaders only the good stuff because it wasn't right to complain especially when they looked so excited and happy for me. I didn't want to crush their hopes and dreams.

I watched as the football guys threw the ball around and wiped their hands on their shirts and shorts when it slipped out of their hands when they tried to catch it. I caught them glance at the girls before they attempted to throw and impress.