Chapter 16 - Imperiled

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: 

“THAT, was a mistake, Emma. You just sealed your own fate.” Carter said as he quickly got up from Emma’s hold and forcefully rubbed his face.  “Claiming me without reciprocity could lead to your death, DIDN”T YOU KNOW THAT!  You could die!  And I can’t…..FUCK THIS!!”

“I’m good as dead anyway, Carter.  You decided this on your own and there’s nothing I can do about it.   Your message is loud and clear.”  Emma got up and covered her nakedness with the blanket and went back to bed.  “I can tell you this though, I’ll be loyal to you by not ratting out on you but you will not expect me to support you and carry this through the end.  I may be dead by then anyway.  Tell me, is it all worth it?  She must be some amazing woman for you to sacrifice your mate to go through some stupid notion that she is going to allow you in her life and let you claim her.”  Emma said in a gesture of air quotes.  She snorted and lay back down.

 “You should leave.  Use me all you want till I’m still around.  I’m prepared to wait because as the goddess as my witness I love you from the first moment I met you.  It may have been devious of me to claim you but I took the risk anyway.  I said to myself that I was going to try or die trying.  Pun intended and now ding ding ding! Emma, poor Emma… You. Are. Going.To.Die!!”  

“ I’m tired.  Please go.”  She turned her back on Carter and let her silent tears fall.

Carter was robbed of his ability of speech.  He fought back the urge to go and comfort his mate.  This has become more complicated than he thought.  He has to make his move soon if he wanted to save his mate.  He has 23 more days till the next full moon.  23 fucking days to make this right.  He donned on his jeans and thought otherwise about the shirt.  He needs to speak to Enrique and see to the plans. 

“I’ll make this right, Emma.  I will make this right for us.”  He promised and jumped off the window without waiting for a response.

With a deep cleansing breath, Emma closed her eyes and focused on how she was going to spend the rest of her days.  She failed—again.  But this time she doesn’t need to make any attempts.  Soon, it will all come to an end.  No amount of anger at fate and even the Luna will help her get through this.  Even if she pulls an attempt on Queran’s life, Carter would definitely kill her for meddling.  He wants Keegan to die by his hands.  Well good luck with that.  The alpha is far too smart and powerful to let anything happen to him and his mate. Either way she looks at it, it’s going to be a lost cost.  And she is just too tired. Too damn tired to care so she just gave in to exhaustion and got sucked into oblivion.

*****

Carter summoned for Enrique.  He was chugging off bottles and bottles of alcohol to numb the pain and trying with all his might thinking how to speed things up.  He is totally fucked up and completely derailed from his well laid plans.  He had it all orchestrated in his mind to a tee.  Capture Queran and lure that asshole of a mate of hers.  Inject him with a lethal dose of “Whore’s Dust” till he OD’s and breaks his neck.  With his death, he would claim Queran and after the much needed transfer of the gifts, kill her too.  He just hopes Emma would still be alive.  The door creaked open and a haggard looking Enrique walked in.  His shirt was all dirty and his feet and jeans were all muddied.

“You look like hell.  What happened to you?”

Chest heaving, Enrique tried to even out his breath before speaking.  Shit was about to hit the fan and he would soon follow.  He gulped before relaying his report.

“We have about 120 new recruits from the rogues, not much but they look like killing machines; fuelled by anger at the alpha.”

“Good.  Splendid work.”  Carter spared him a pleasing glance but noticed that his beta seemed to have something more to say.  “What is it?”