chapter 2

Chapter 2:

"Stop here." I instructed Haily.

"Here? There's nothing here but a eery looking park full of junkies and crackwhores."

I laughed at that, like my father would let junkies near his property. Or on it, since the park belonged to him. The mansion was situated a couple of streats up south, but I wanted to sneak in. I had a feeling my family wouldn't be all that welcoming, and I liked my face like it was, without bruises. I suppose that wasn't really fair of me, they had always tried to avoid leaving marks on my face.

"The house it only a couple of streets further. They would come check it out if they saw a car stopping in front of the house. I want to surprise them."

She rolled her eyes at me, as if saying she thought me to be insane.

"Fine, weirdo."

I made a motion to get out of the car. I was pulled back harshly by the collar of my jacket. Two skinny arms hugged me tightly.

"You are the best friend one could ever wish for.

We are going to stay in touch, even with me going to college and having tons of boyfriends."

It was my time to roll my eyes. Such a thing for Haily to say.

"Of course we are going to stay in touch."

If I survived my family.

Haily actually had tears in her eyes.

You made the last two year bareable for me. I can't ever thank you enough for that, Peyton. I would have never survived on my own."

Now she was being melodramatic.

"Sure you would have."

"No, I wouldn't have. You're a much tougher bitch than me, blondie."

I laughed at hearing the old name she used to call me, back when she thought I was some blond slut, trying to steal all the 'yummie' guys from her. Haily's words, not mine.

"Well, I had four more years than you in there, so don't let it get to you."

A worried look crossed her eyes.

"I can't believe they let you to rot there."

"I can't believe your dad is the director of the rotting place." I tried to ease her mood with light banter.

She punched me on the arm. I barely felt it, really she was such a real girl. I mean, we both had thin arms, but were my had become muscled from years of intense training, her had stayed the same powerless arms from the the day she had arrived at the 'hellhole'. It wasn't like I was build like a bodybuilder, on the contrary, I looked feeble. But unlike Haily, I was anything but.

"Be careful, don't do anything stupid. I'll call you in the morning."

I groaned.

"Fine, I'll call you in the late afternoon. Be sure to pick up."

I smiled, she knew me too well.

"Take care, Hailes. Those colleges boys won't know what hit them."

She grinned at me.

"Damn, I'm going to miss you."

With one last hug, I stepped out of the car. Unperceived I walked to the high wall that surrounded my father's domain. I really hoped they hadn't found out about the weak spot in the security system yet. I was screwed if they had.

One way or another, I was going to find out how much could have changed in six years. I climbed the wall and made myself ready to jump down on the only spot were I knew no camera's would be.

Ready or not, here I come.

I hadn't landed for two seconds yet or two scary looking pittbulls were storming right at me. They didn't hesitate and jumped their sharp teeth catching the light of the moon.

"Ow, get of off me you stupid dog." I laughed trying to avoid the licking tongue of both dogs. It had been a long time since I'd been home, but apperantly Jack and Dino hadn't forgotten me yet. They had been puppies the last time I had seen them. Couldn't believe daddy hadn't had them replaced after all these years.

At the sound of approching footsteps I froze.

"Whose their?"

I rolled my eyes, some security we had, like anyone would answer that question while breaking in.

A smack resounded, followed by a loud: "Auwch! What was that for?"

"Are you really this stupid? No one is going to answer if they are unwanted guests on private propierty. You make me ashamed of being bloodrelated to you."

"But I heard something. We have to go and check it oud." The stupid one said.

"Jack and Dino are the two most viscious dogs we have. They even snap at Robert."

Robert was my dad, the big brain behind the entire maffia.

"I'm pretty sure that if there was a real danger we have known by now. Even if it were only the cries of pain."

I heard them leave.

No real danger? I'd show them, I had changed and wasn't anything like the sweet little girl that had left here, not anymore. I was a tough bitch with a lot of concealed anger. And I had every intention of showing the Slomar family just how much they had pissed me off.

But first, I needed some sleep.