Chapter Eighteen

"Josh! Josh, wake up!" Tyler whisper-yelled. He had heard movement downstairs and was scared to get up and check it out on his own. "Josh!" He said again. After shaking him for the millionth time, Josh was finally opening his eyes.

"Wha- what, Tyler?" He croaked.

"Wake up! I think someone- Josh!" Tyler yelled again. Josh had just moved to his side and began to fall asleep again. When his name was called, Josh's eyes shot open.

"What?!"

"I think someone is in the house! Check it out with me!" Josh moved to the edge of the bed and sighed.

"Are you sure?" He asked, rubbing his eyes. Tyler nodded. The noises had been going on for about twenty minutes now.

"Alright. Let's make sure it's not my mom first though." They got up, carefully walking to the door and to his mom's room. As they went they heard reckless walking and glass breaking on the floor below. When they got to Joan's room, they saw her up, watching television with a tub of ice cream.

"Mom?!" Josh said, shocked. She muted the TV and turned to the boys at her door.

"Oh, sorry." She chuckled. "I just really craved ice cream and I couldn't sleep so I decided to watch some-"

"Mom, mom, I don't care about that part. Someone is downstairs." Josh said, stepping completely into the room.

"Haven't you heard the noises?" Tyler asked. Joan shook her head as her heart filled with worry.

"Oh god, no. No, I'm sorry." She said, standing up and walking over to them.

"It's fine. You just stay here with Ty and I'll go check it out." Josh said, facing Tyler. "Go chill with my mom. I'll be back." He told Tyler.

"Okay but be careful?" Tyler warned. Josh nodded and kissed Tyler's cheek before heading to the stairs.

Josh walked to the top and peered over the edge. He saw a faint shadow walk by and he grabbed a big flashlight, ready to use it for a weapon if need be.

He slowly walked down the wooden steps, careful not to make too much noise. It didn't take long for him to get downstairs but, as soon as he did, he heard another glass break. This time it was in the kitchen.

Josh quickly made his way to the room, not caring about how much noise he made.

"Hey!" He yelled, stopping when he saw the person that had been disrupting the peace all this time. They turned their attention towards Josh, dropping whatever they had in their hands.

"Jennifer?! How the fuck did you get in here?" He said quietly. He didn't want Tyler or his mom to hear anything.

"Lock your windows." She said, leaning against the counter.

"You're weird."

"Yeah, well, whatever." She spat.

"So inform me again on why the hell you're in my house at three in the morning?"

"I don't know, Josh. I just got angry and breaking glass is what I used to do as a kid to relieve the stress." She sighed, sitting down. Josh smiled internally because the destruction sounded cool.

"So you come in my house to do that? That's kind of psycho."

"I didn't have too many options now, did I?" Josh shrugged, sitting next to her.

"Why did you come back anyways? I thought you hated Tyler... And me." Josh added.

"No, no. It's just that I was lonely and Tyler is still my son." She trailed. "Tom made me leave though. I didn't want to, but he forced me..."

"Uh, what do you mean?" He asked, curious.

"I was just in a bad relationship and I'm glad it ended. I'll put it at that." Jennifer said. She seemed so distraught just by Josh bringing up the subject.

"Alright... I think you should go though, no offense. Tyler really doesn't want to see you." Josh explained.

"I know... I miss him though, Josh. I do and I just don't know how to be a good mother for him when I've messed it up so much."

"Yeah that ship has sailed, my friend." Josh chuckled half-heartedly. Jennifer looked at him stupidly, making Josh apologize.

"You know, I don't mind you. I find your retorts to be entertaining."

"Yeah... Thanks."

"No problem. I also think you and Josh make a good pair or couple or whatever the hell you are." She said, resting her head on her hand.

"Thanks. And, you know, now that I see that you're not completely crazy, you're an alright person." Josh complimented. Jennifer gave him a high five as a thank you.

"I'll try to bring Ty around for you but you need to step up as a mother. Tyler said you were almost never there and he missed you. I want you to be there for him. He has me but sometimes I'm not enough." Jennifer nodded. "You can crash here for the night I guess. Just don't break anything else."

"That's fair. But, Josh?"

"Yeah."

"Be good to him... He hasn't had such a good past with the addictions and such but he's never been close to anyone like he is with you. So, be good to him." Josh nodded even though he was a bit confused at the first thing she told him. Josh knew Tyler better for her to just tell him he didn't have a good past. He knew his family was fucked but he didn't know about any addictions.

***

aha cools.

"Keep our every thought to ourselves incase we mention how we feel." ayyy lmao