Chapter 2

"Your next? Keep dreaming." She rolled her eyes again, and walked to her locker, ignoring the furious cheerleader scurrying from the room.

The bad boy strolled out of the shower, zipping up his jeans. He leaned against a row of lockers and folded his arms over his chest, watching her put away her soccer gear.

Jane shivered as his gaze roamed over her body like a pair of exploring hands, touching and lingering in places no other man had noticed before.

"Mm-mm, you're just the kind of girl a man likes to dream about."

Oh my God, did he really just say that? About me? She couldn't look at him. He flirted with every girl on campus, so she knew it didn't mean anything. Still, he was flirting with her. Guys didn't flirt with her often—or at all. Not that it mattered. Pursuing her career was more important than flirting with guys.

She packed her bag and dug through her locker as if he didn't exist.

Austin ran his fingers through his wild hair and shifted his weight. His jaw tightened for a moment, but then that naughty smile returned. "I'll forgive you for interrupting if you promise not to tell the dean I was in here."

Jane laughed. "I won't have to tell. Everyone knows you're no stranger to the girls' locker room." Even Sara, her best friend and least athletic person on the planet, had told stories about Austin's favorite playing field.

"Ouch baby."

"Don't call me baby."

"Sorry, sweetheart." He grinned at her.

"I have a name!" She slammed the locker shut and glared back.

"I know you do." The grin started to fade and he shifted again.

"This school isn't that big. I know your name, Charles Austin Sinclair III." She smiled as that charming grin turned into an angry scowl.

"Don't call me that. Ever." He ground the words out through clenched teeth.

"Surely you must know my name."

"You bet I do." He paused, his eyes rolling to the right, searching his memory. "I'm just playing with you." The grin returned. "Or I'd like to."

She saw right through his little game. Well, she could play too. Obviously, he knew nothing about her, so she might as well have some fun with him. "You're not the only one...."

Actually, he was. Jane's mother hadn't let her date in high school, and the trend had continued right into college. Focus on your studies, Jane, her mother had told her. Don't let boys distract you.

"Oh yeah?" Austin's eyes lit up and Jane wondered what had sparked his interest. He moved closer to her. "Where do I get in line?"

She wanted to tell him to get behind her, but she'd just witnessed what he could do to a girl from behind. Might not be such a bad thing. The cheerleader had seemed to enjoy it. Jane wondered what it would feel like to let him touch her. She stole a glance at his hands. Such long fingers.... A little shiver ran down her spine and she bit her lip before she said anything stupid.

"Come on, sugar–"

"What's my name?"

"Um... Jenna."

"Wrong answer."

"Jenny."

"Keep trying." If he stuck with J names, he might stumble onto it.

"I will." He settled back against the locker next to her as if he belonged there. "Come have a drink with me and I'll figure it out."

I should say no. "Isn't there a frustrated cheerleader you should be consoling?"

He chuckled. "Probably. She'll wait."

Jane had no doubt she would. "I need to study." School was more important than Austin Sinclair—or any other man.

"So do I, but I don't want to." He moved closer to her and brushed her hair back over her shoulder, caressing her skin. "I want to be with you."

His light, provocative touch dared her to ask for more. If his fingers felt that good in her hair, what would his hands feel like on her body? She stepped back, unwilling to allow those thoughts. "Do you always get what you want?"

Next chapter coming 3/15.