The Sign (a Clato fanfiction)

Hope you enjoy! Leave feedback!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up with a start and a strange feeling in my stomach. Immediately, I remember why. How could I forget? It's reaping day! I fling my skinny body out of bed and scamper to the bathroom. I run the hot water and undress. As I step in, the scalding hot water burns my skin and I pull back quickly wincing. I wash the dirt off my skin from training yesterday. I quickly step out and dry off my body. I know Cato will be here any minute now. “MOM!” I yell. “Yes hun?” She asked me with an edge to her voice. She has told me at least a million times not to yell in the house. “Do you have my outfit ready?” She smiled. “Yes, I layed it out on your bed while you were washing.” I headed to my room to find it in the exact spot she had described to me. I studied it. A white lace top with a black bandeau. A navy and white skirt with a bow in the back. A pair of uncomfortable looking black ballet flats. It was all too fancy and girly for me. I sighed and slipped it on just as I heard the doorbell ring.

Cato! I thought to myself and excitement rushed through my body and I check myself in the mirror and burst into the hallway. There he was. Standing there smiling at me. “Hey Clovey!” He said. “Cato!” I yelled. I felt supercharged and I ran into his arms. He lifted me up and I squealed! After both of my feet were planted back on the ground, I lifted my body up on the tips of my toes and he bent down and kissed me. I wished life would be frozen in this position forever. “Are you ready to go?” He asked me. It was a tradition for us to go to the forest before the reaping. “Yeah, should I bring my new knives?” “Sure, it might calm our nerves.” He says. I smiled weakly. I had almost forgotten about volunteering this year. I normally would have been extremely excited, hyped up on adrenaline and the longing for the bloodbath. This year though, this very special year, Cato and I would BOTH be volunteering. If you still dont understand the stress we are under, let me show you the math: District 2= Clove+Cato=1 victor. Yeah, one of us will have to live without the other. And if you were us, you would know how completely impossible that idea is. I slowly walked down to my room and opened the cabinet inside it. I stared at all my seemingly impressive array of knives and carefully selected three. On the way out I grabbed my black combat boots and tucked them under my lacey top. “Ok, I'm ready now.” He eyed me suspiciously and gestured to my boots. I carefully lifted my left finger to my lips and my right one to his. With a chuckle from Cato and a giggle escaping my lips, we headed out the door.

Chapter 2:

We walked across the gravel road and my feet fall into step with his. All of a sudden I feel his hand snake its way into mine, our fingers link together. I hang my head down as I blush and smile, grasping his hand tightly. I was afraid that if I let go, I might stumble down to the ground and break down altogether. “I'll go first,” He whispered in my ear. I pretended to mind my own buisiness as he leaped over the fence. After he was over, he lifted me up, and we escaped into the brush. “Close your eyes,” He instructed. He held my hand and we walked. “Ok, you can open them now.” A gasp escaped my lips. It was the tree. OUR tree. The tree where we met the very first day I was brave enough to venture into the forest. Cato had been trying every single day to get me to go with him. Finally, I gave into his pleading and he led me to this tree. It was our meeting tree. It was our thinking tree. It was our talking tree. Well, it was MY talking tree, Cato mostly listened to me rant about training and how easy or hard it was, or how mean the girls at school were. They were all afraid of me because of my skill with knives. Well, anyway we would throw knives and, when I was with Cato, swords at it too. Today, though, there was a large heart carved out of the wood that read C+C=Forever. “Oh, Cato!” I said. “I love it!” Tears welled in my eyes and I grabbed him tightly. Breathing hard I nestled my face in his strong muscular body and he held me close. "This stinks!" I said angerly. "yeah I know it does Clovey, but we have to make it work! Both of us volunteering I mean what are the odds that both of us get picked? Dozens of people volunteer every year! Neither of us might be picked. We just have to stay strong and no crying ok?" I sigh. "Ok. But at least tell me what you angle is!" he pondered my request for a moment then said, "I think I'm gonna go for cocky. Everyone loves a fighter." I nod. "That's true. I have zero idea what I'm gonna go for. Maybe silent but lethal," "That would suit you especially considering your size!" Cato said. I was very small for my age but pretty muscular. I only weighed about 90 pounds which is extremely light for a 15 year old. And I was only about 5'2. "Hey!" despite the fact that I knew exactly the right way to put a knife through his skull, he loved teasing me about the fact I was so small. A lot of the girls at school like to do the same thing. Almost all of them actually, except for my friend ginger. But the difference is that Cato knows when to back off. Which is why I don't freak out when he does it. "hey did I ever say you werent powerful though? Exactly" he smiled down at me and I blushed and wiped the tears from my eyes. "Seriously clove it's gonna be fine. I promise." he brushed my hair back, grabbed my waist, looked straight into my eyes and kissed me. It was a long kiss. After all, it may be our last one. When we finally broke away, he said, "you know what? I think I am gonna change my angle. I will be the boy madly in love with his tribute partner!" He lifted me up and spun me around and I laughed. "like anyone would fall for that!" I said through giggles. He pulled me into his arms. "oh but they would! I can be very convincing when I want to be" he wiggled his eyebrows like a total idiot. But he was my idiot. This made me laugh even harder and I collapsed under the tree with my skirt all poofed out. "Ugggghhhh it's almost time for the reaping!" I exclaimed. "come on we gotta go!" he pulled me up and we ran hand in hand off to the long line of children.

Chapter 3

I said goodbye to Cato as he headed over to the 17 year old male section and I walked over to the 15 year old female. I stood with ginger and she told me how if she got picked she would be so happy. I almost felt bad that I would try and take her place. Almost. When it was my turn to get my finger pricked, I held it out willingly and the pinch in my skin sent a rush of excitement through my veins. I had been training for this my whole life. I felt like I was walking on air as I headed over to stand with ginger. We stood silently and I searched the crowd for Cato. I finally found him when our mayor took the stage.

He began talking about all of the things he's required to say. Basically, to me, it goes in one ear and out the other. Blah blah blah rebellion blah blah blah enforcements. Every year it's the same. Finally, I start to hear clapping so I know our escort is about take the stage. Her name is Hadley. "Welcome to the reaping for the 74th annual Hunger Games!" she said excitedly. "If you will all please direct your attention to the screen," The Capitol anthem chimed and a video began to play telling us about why they hold the Hunger Games. Same as every other year. Hadley turned back to face us just as the video signed off. "Well, you all know the drill! Ladies first!" She reached her hand delicately into the glass bowl and pulled out a name. "Skylar Jern!" Oh that's great! Just great. She'll kill me if I took her place! But I go for it anyway. I try to yell over the dozens of other people yelling 'I volunteer!' "I volunteer as tribute!!!" I practically scream. "You right there!" she points to me.

I excitedly step into the walkway and there are snickers from the crowd. Most likely because of my size. I walk up there telling myself to be silent but lethal over and over again. I don't hold my head too high but hold it up not to look cocky. When I pass Cato I can't bear to even look at him. If he gets picked i think I'll break down right there on stage in front of everybody. And I can't afford for that to happen. I finally reach the stage and walk up the steps. "And your name and age dear?" she actually called me dear! I'm not twelve! "Clove Sevina, age 15" I say fifteen very clearly and loudly so everyone can hear. Hadley looks shocked. She headed over to the other bowl. Once again her finely manicured hand reached a paper. "Jack Thera!" once again many volunteered but Cato stood out because of his loud attempt and muscular build. "You there! With the blond hair!" she specified. He stepped out and made his way up the walkway. Yup, he was definitely going for cocky. He held his head high and proudly. "Name and age?" She asked. "Cato Larek, age 17" She smiled at him. "Ladies and Gentlemen, our tributes from District 2, Clove Sevina and Cato Larek!" the crowd cheered loudly. Cato held his hand out and I shook it. That was the moment that my mind went into shock.