Chapter 1 - "Are you okay?"

A day or so later, I got a Skype call on my computer. A cute picture of Luke and me popped up on the screen, indicating that Luke was calling. I answered it, and Luke's face filled the screen.

"Hey baby," he smiled at me and waved.

"Hey Lukey," I smiled, looking right into his eyes.

"I'm here.. in Japan. And I'm safe," he informed me.

I nodded, "I can see that. That's good."

"Yeah. So you're alright? Nothing has happened in the past day that I missed?" he laughed.

"No, nothing's happened that you've missed. Just a lot of crying. But I'm fine now," I grinned to cover up my sadness.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm sure, Luke. I'll be fine," I assured him.

"Okay. I don't want you being hurt. I don't like it when you're sad."

"Luke, this is the fourth tour you'll be on when I'm home. I'm used to it. As long as we Skype every day or every other day, I'll be fine."

"Okay.. I love you, Peyton Claire Gray," he blew a kiss.

"I love you too, Luke Robert Hemmings," I blew a kiss back, and we ended the call. I sighed. That's always how our conversations went, but I was okay with it.

I walked downstairs to see my mum in the kitchen. I put both of my elbows down on the island and laid my head on top of my hands. I sighed loudly, and my mum turned towards me.

"Are you okay, Peyton?" Mum asked. I shrugged.

"Luke's gone, Maria isn't in town, and I'm bored," I slumped my body into a seat by the island.

"Do you want to do something so you're not bored?"

"No.. I'm okay. It gives me time to think, being bored, but I don't mind."

"That's good. Are you almost ready for dinner?" She asked, spinning around with a pot in her hands. There was spaghetti in the pot. She sat the pot on the island and twisted around on her heels to grab a pot of sauce with meatballs and place it on the island, right in front of me.

"Paisley!" Mum exclaimed up to my sister who was in her room. When she didn't answer, Mum yelled again, "Paisley Jane!"

"I'm coming!" Paisley informed Mum. I could hear the pitter-patter of her delicate feet coming down the stairs.

"I was doing homework. I have a lot tonight, especially Algebra," she groaned. Algebra was pretty easy for me in school, both Algebra I and Algebra II. Paisley did okay with Algebra I, but she was having a little trouble with Algebra II. She was in year ten, and she was always complaining about homework.

"Haha, you have to go to school and get homework.." I joked, poking her shoulder before smiling at her.

"Haha, your boyfriend is away on tour for the next month.." She poked me and grabbed the spaghetti.

"Haha, your non-existent boyfriend isn't here either," I said in a not-so-playful tone.

"Okay, girls. That's enough," Mum rolled her eyes and came over to the island and sat to the right of Paisley who was to the right of me.

We all got our spaghetti and began to eat. I kept thinking about the comment Paisley made about Luke. I knew it was true, and I knew that she was just joking, but it really seemed to hurt.

"Peyton, are you okay?" Mum asked me, looking over at me while I was picking at my spaghetti and not eating any.

I shrugged, "I know I should be used to this, but I still miss him.." I pushed my fork down onto my glass plate, twisted some spaghetti into it, then pulled my fork up and dropped the spaghetti.

"I don't feel like eating," I pouted. I dropped my fork, and it made a loud clanging noise, but I didn't care. I ran upstairs into my room and locked my door. I heard my mum coming after me.

"Peyton.." she knocked on the door. I ignored her and got out my laptop. I opened it and turned it on. I began to quietly cry, sitting on my bed.

I opened Skype and called Luke. I sighed, trying to calm myself. Luke answered and was immediately worried.

"Peyt, what's wrong? Are- are you okay? What happened? Why are you crying?" He fired questions at me.

"I miss you too much," my head fell, "I love you, Luke.. I love you. I don't want you to be gone for a month. I want you here so I can cuddle you and hold you in my arms and kiss you and have you kiss me and be right next to you and lay my head on your chest and talk to you whenever I want to and-" it seems like my sentence when on forever, but I had finished.

"I do too, Peyt. Another month? Just that long, okay? We've done this before," he told me, smiling.

I nodded, "I know. It's just so hard the first few days. Also, Paisley brought you up at dinner, and I just couldn't eat. I can't eat."

"Peyt, you're overreacting. Do something that takes your mind off of me. Anything to take your mind off of me," he sympathetically smiled.

"I'll try," I pushed the words out of my mouth, stopping myself from crying.

"I love you, Peyton Claire Gray," he whispered, blowing a kiss.

"I.. love you, Luke.. Robert Hemmings," I blew him a kiss and pulled the corner of my mouth up just a little to make a small smile.

I ended the call and shut my laptop, letting out a deep breath. I sauntered up to my door and opened it. My mum walked into my room.

"Peyton, I feel really bad for you. You've done this three other times. It's still this hard on you," she pouted, feeling empathy towards me.

"There's also the fact that we got really serious a month or two ago. I thought he was going to propose, but he didn't.."

"Yeah, I knew I sensed something changed between you two," she put her hand on my knee.

"I don't like being away from him. This time, it's different. It feels different. I don't like it," I cried.

"Peyton, it'll be okay. You'll be fine, I promise. You'll be fine without Luke. You've been okay the other three tours.."

"I know. I'll be fine.. Thanks mum," I smiled, hugging her. Still, I could only think about Luke.