Two Badboys...- Chapter 20

If someone had told a younger, naiver version of me that my first kiss would be on the rooftop of an abandoned warehouse filled with gang members, with a total player who I'd once went on a date with and was now currently trying to kill me, I would've laughed in their face. But sadly, reality had me doing exactly that.

As Jayden reached for my mask, completely intent on revealing my identity, my mind completely shut down and I let my body run on pure instinct. I surged forward, taking advantage of his loosened grip on me to grab the back of his neck and crash my lips against his in a moment of pure spontaneity.

His lips were soft and warm, moulding seamlessly to my own. He tasted slightly salty and of something utterly masculine and I felt goosebumps rise on my skin. I didn't even feel mildly repulsed by the light sheen of sweat above his lip like I normally might be. My eyes were squeezed shut, unable to look into his face and risk seeing his reaction. It seemed to last an eternity, everything dropping away as I let myself sink into the feel and taste of him. It felt so right. He groaned and for a moment I swear I felt his lips press back against mine, my heart lifting in elation.

But reality came crashing back as he broke away with a gasp, stumbling backwards, away from me.

I sucked in a large, much-needed breath as I slowly opened my eyes, meeting his. The fire that was in them before was gone, replaced with shock and confusion. His lips were parted, his breathing heavy as he regarded me with suspicion and scrutiny.

"What the fuck?" he breathed out, chest rising and falling rapidly

I felt my heart sink and I smiled sadly in resignation. It had been our first kiss, and most likely our last, but god be damned if I was going to let it be the end of me.

Jayden raised his hands, to undoubtedly run it through his unruly hair, and taking complete advantage of the action, I launched myself towards him. I barrelled into him, knocking him back and out of the way, but not before I grabbed a knife from his belt and without even checking my aim, threw it straight towards Lachlan who was watching the whole scene open-mouthed.

His reflexes snapped in like I knew they would, and he stepped back just in time. He dodged the knife which sliced the air where he'd been only milliseconds before, but caught himself on Shae's outstretched foot, his eyes widening in surprise as he tipped backwards. He fell to the ground in a heap, gun clattering across the floor and out of sight.

I rushed towards Shae, dropping to her side and assessing the damage.

"Why didn't you tell me it was them?" Shae muttered to me out of the corner of her mouth as I helped her into a sitting position

I met her gaze reluctantly, preparing myself for her anger. Instead her eyes were soft and almost understanding.

"I...I didn't believe it really was them" I swallowed the lump that rose in my throat as I looked away in shame. Thanks to my foolish actions, I'd almost gotten Shae killed.

She sighed and I almost jumped in shock as I felt her hand on my shoulder. I glanced up in surprise

"It's okay. I understand" she whispered, grunting halfway as she grabbed her arm in pain.

"Really?" I asked, unhinging my jaw as I stared in disbelief. Where was the angry, fired-up Shae I was so used to? She managed a weak smile, sad grey eyes meeting my own

"Believe it or not, but I was once in love as well" she said softly, glancing away, a sad smile on her lips.

My heart broke at how dejected she looked before her words fully registered.