Chapter 26

Akira had never meant for this to happen. He had thought it a brilliant idea at the time; An arena with different floors underground, a map for the tributes to find, and only one person who escapes. It was all perfectly laid out: the floors had all been arranged precisely to his designs, the creatures had been generated and the 'natural' elements had been put in. All that was needed were the tributes. Akira expected no more of what was normally expected of District 5: Two tributes that were unspectacular, but not entirely invisible. Lisa Simpson and Millhouse Van Houten had the opposite effect on the Capitol. Their unusual entrance to the Capitol Parade was just the start. When it was unveiled that Lisa had received a 12 from the Sponsors, people took a special interest in her. Akira remembered nothing of choosing her score; he admitted to himself that perhaps he was too drunk to remember. It was evidently all up to the Sponsors, who weren't exactly sober at the time as well. One thing that could be said though was that they gave the boy tribute an 8, which was average for an 18 year old. This lead him out of the lime light a little, which was good, Akira told himself, as he sipped his tea in his office on the morning of the anniversary of  two weeks into the Games. 

Akira sighed, and put down his tea. President Skinner wanted to have a meeting with him, so he had better go. Muttering to himself, agitated, he strode out of his office in the Presidential Residence, and ascended the stairs. He guessed that President Skinner would be where he usually was at this time in the morning. He climbed to the second floor, and strolled down the corridor, adjusting the cuff on his sleeve as he went. When he reached the President's door, he looked briefly in the mirror next to it, before knocking sharply on the door three times. After a few seconds, the door opened. 

President Skinner was a man in his late 50s, with greying short hair. He was tall and thin, with sharp, inquisitive, eyes. He was clever and sly, always finding a way to get what he wanted, despite protests from the Districts or his advisers. They knew they had to comply anyway: He was the President. He had leaded them away from the Rebellion, after all. He knew what he was doing. Skinner had never had a partner, or any family that those closest to him knew of. He kept these details of his personal life very secret. Since Akira had known him, which wasn't very long, he had always been shaved, and immaculate. This meeting was no exception. Dressed in a sharp grey suit, Skinner greeted him formally, and showed Akira into his room. The two men went straight to the balcony, where President Skinner spent his mornings, looking over the Rose Garden, while doing his paperwork, with a strong black coffee. The expected table with two chairs, the coffee and the paperwork were in the centre of the large balcony. Skinner gestured for Akira to sit, before taking a seat himself. 

"Akira", the President started, picking up his coffee,"Have you been keeping up with the Games?". The Gamemaker answered briefly, "Of course." The President furrowed his brow. "Then you must realise that we are at a dilemma." Akira frowned. "I'm afraid I don't understand, Sir." he replied at last. President Skinner drained his cup and put it down on the table. "Let me explain then", he answered briskly,"You see, the only tribute the whole Capitol has been focusing on especially is Lisa Simpson, who as you know, is from District 5. District 5 supplies what, Akira?", he asked. Akira answered immediately, "Power, Sir." The President nodded. "Yes. Power. This is one of the most important components we have that makes up Simpnem. Without power we would not be able to power our modes of transport, our lights, our buildings, the Games even. Now, take a moment to think Akira, what it would be like without District 5, without power. Tell me what it would be like for not only the Capitol, but for the whole country." It took a long time for the Gamemaker to come up with his answer, "It wouldn't be entirely a catastrophe. We would find other methods to power the Capitol, like Coal." The President smiled, "Very clever, Akira, but what would we do if we didn't have District 12, if we didn't have coal." Akira frowned, "Wood. We would have wood.", but the President answered, "I think you know what I'm trying to say, Akira. Without any of the Districts, the Capitol is nothing, and the country is nothing.".

Akira paused. "But...we do have them.", he said, confused. "Exactly,", President Skinner replied, "But for how long? How do we know that we'll always have them?". Akira nodded, as an idea came to him. "Do you think that the Districts are trying to rebel then?", he asked. The President smiled again. "I do. The attacks on the Remake Centre before the Games were no Capitol citizens. However much power the Capitol citizens think they have, ironically the Districts have more access to weapons and equipment than they do. But, on the other hand, the Districts are monitored. We would know if anyone from the Districts was missing.". The Gamemaker frowned. "So...Capitol citizens were the ones attacking the Remake Centre? Or are the Capitol citizens working with the Districts? Or are the attackers Peacekeepers?" Akira's eyes gleamed, his mind racing through all the possible suspects that could have attacked the Capitol. President Skinner sighed, "No, no and no.Capitol citizens have no skills with weapons, as they have no need, and a bond between the Capitol and the Districts like that would be noticed, and Peacekeepers wouldn't be allowed to be a Peacekeeper if they had something like terrorising in mind.", he answered dryly.

Akira nodded briefly, and spoke, "Sir, I still don't understand what our dilemma is.". Skinner smiled nastily, and answered, "Lisa Simpson is at the head of this year's Games. She always will be, dead or not. But, she has suffered an injury, which can only be repaired with the Capitol's medical skills and doctors. So, do we let her die, erasing any sense of danger we have with rebellion, but no longer have the support of the Capitol Citizens, or let her live, with accusations of being too lenient and encourage the Districts to rebel?". Akira was silent. Skinner continued his paperwork, seeming to forget that Akira was still there. Eventually, Akira asked one more question. "Sir", he cleared his throat, and Skinner looked up, irritated, "What are the reports of the torturing? You know, from the people we found outside the borders.". Skinner frowned, and cracked his knuckles. "That, Akira, is none of your business, so I suggest you stay out of it.", he said coldly. He gestured for him to get out of his sight. Relieved, the Gamemaker stood up, bowed slightly, and left the President's rooms. 

Akira frowned, as he checked his watch, leaving the Presidential Residence. He was supposed to be at the Control Centre half an hour ago. He could only hope that they were getting on fine without him. Hurrying, he got into a long black car, and asked the driver to take him to the Control Centre as soon as possible. The driver's response was not what he had been expecting. Akira could see in the wing mirror a pair of dark fierce eyes, and two gloved hands gripped tightly to the steering wheel. The driver replied through clenched teeth, "You need some questions to answer, Gamemaker.". Suddenly, the car accelerated forward, and out of the driveway, the tyres screeching on the road. The car drove off, and the street was quiet again. All that could be heard from the President's house was the sound of muffled cries...