One: Limits

Jaime's POV

Do you ever have those moments, where everything is so crazy, but all you can think about is, how a week ago, your biggest problem was a nacho stain?

Yeah. This is one of those moments.

As I stare at Bart's blank face, with tears streaming down my face, my throat sore from screaming his name over and over again, I think back to that nacho stain.

I realize, that was the day everything changed. You would've thought it was the day Bart and I stumbled upon the aliens. But no, it was that day.

The real change, was me.

This was normal, I thought. The world was always in constant danger. The League would always have problems.

This was a different change. One that would change me forever.

If I lost him right now, I don't think I would ever recover.

I regret to inform you that the Impulse has no heartbeat, my scarab tells me.

"Your lying", I whisper, then louder. "Your lying!"

Scarab goes silent.

"No, Bart. You can't leave me now. I can't lose you." My voice is broken and scratchy.

"Please."
___________________________________
6 Months Earlier

Recognized: Blue Beetle Bsomething

"Hey, bud! What's up? Hey, look at this! It's so totally crash!"

Bart speeds around me in a blur.

"Woah, ese. Slow down", I laugh. Bart doesn't, so I stick my foot out and he crashes to the ground.

"Sooo feeling the mode", he groans. Bart bounces up and shoves me playfully. I laugh and shove him back.

"Cmon, her-man-oo, there's something I want to show you." Bart speeds off and I armor up to follow.

"It's hermano, Bart", I correct when he stops in the kitchen.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. It's all crash", he waves his hands dismissively. "Oh, here it is."

Bart drags me to the microwave. "Look at this. It warms up your food if you press these buttons! So crash!"

"Bart, it's a microwave. Everyone has one."

"I know, but look." He speeds off and comes back with a jar of nacho cheese and a bag of chips. He sticks the cheese in the microwave, then dumps half the bag into a bowl. When the timer dings, Bart grabs the cheese and puts it in another bowl.

"Ta-da! Nachos!"

I laugh and grab a chip. A bit of the cheese falls on my jacket.

"Dang it! This is my favorite jacket!" I try and rub the cheese off with a napkin, but it just makes it worse.

"Give me your jacket. I'll take care of it." Bart reaches his hands out.

"Er, it's okay. I'll take care of it when I get home", I reply, nervously.

"Cmon, her-man-oo. Give me the jacket." He flexes his fingers.

I sigh and take off my jacket. For some reason, I feel embarrassed under Bart's green gaze. I hand him the jacket and he speeds off, only to appear seconds later with it perfectly clean.

"How did you do that, ese? It only took you, like, 5 seconds!" I inspect my clean jacket closely.

"Powa!", Bart says, flexing. I look away, embarrassed again.

Your heart rate is abnormally fast, scarab tells me.

"Shut up", I murmur.

"What'd ya say?", asks Bart through a mouthful of nachos.

"Just talkin' to scarab", I reply, hastily.

Bart doesn't notice the urgent tone of my voice. "Cool sauce."

I have no idea why I'm feeling so..... I don't even know the word for it. Flustered, maybe? Ugh, no. That sounds so strange.

This is all so strange.
___________________________________
Authors Note:

Hehe. So excited to do more! Also, check out this cool sauce author: Jawesome21 ! She's so crash *wink wink*.