38. Unholy Plans

It didn't take Reuben long to repeat to the others what he had told Ayla about the Margrave's duplicity. The lack of the intense kissing and romantic murmurings now that they had company saved considerable time.

"I suspect they will start building some siege fortifications," Reuben concluded. "Just enough to keep up the pretense that they want to starve us out, and to create a camouflage for what they're really doing. But within twenty-five days, thirty at most, they are going to come for us, mark my words."

"What will they do, though, exactly?" Sir Rudolphus asked, his brow furrowed. "And what can we do to prevent it?"

Reuben shrugged. "They can't bring siege towers up the mountain, and anyway, siege towers are incredibly high. They couldn't build any of those without us seeing what they are up to. Their trebuchet is destroyed. That leaves only grappling hooks and ladders. It will be a raw fight: strength against strength, numbers against numbers."

"And we're outnumbered two to one," Ayla stated, gloomily.

"So what are they going to do?" Sir Rudolphus wanted to know.

Reeuben's voice was cold, hard, and decisive. "They'll need ten days to build enough palisades to hide what they're really doing. Another ten days to manufacture ladders, ropes and enough arrows for the archers to shoot with. Factor in another five to ten days for various delays, and we have about a month left to prepare."

He fixed a grim look on Rudophus. It didn't soften when it travelled and settled on Ayla.

"At the end of that month, they're going to attack."

Ayla had trouble swallowing around the lump in her throat.

"Reuben... I know our odds aren't as catastrophic as they used to be. I know that you've done a lot to increase our armed forces and train the men. But even with the terrain and fortifications in our favor, it'll still be an army of six hundred professional men at arms against an army of three hundred, mostly consisting of peasants."

"Peasants who I trained," Reuben reminded her again. If Ayla didn't know better, she might have thought he sounded a little hurt.

""I know, Reuben, but still, we'll be outnumbered two to one. If we face the enemy like that, we'll be slaughtered."

Reuben nodded.

"I know."

Ayla blinked, taken aback. "What?"

"I said I know."

"I know what you said! I... Well, I just thought you might deny it."

"Why would I deny it? Why would I contradict you, when you have summarized our military situation so admirably?" He gave her one of his devious smiles. "You are right: if we face them like that, we will be slaughtered. Which is why we will face them in a totally different way."

If Ayla hadn't absolutely loved his devious smiles before, she did so now. She could feal it: the dark purpose behind that smile, unfolding before her. This wasn't just a strategically meeting. He had something up his sleeve. And if Ayla knew Reuben, it would be something be something bloody.

"What do you mean?"

His smile widened, until it looked worthy of Lucifer himself.

"Just a little plan of mine."

"And by 'little' you mean..."

"Evil, Milady."

"I thought as much."

"I've been working on it for some time—just in case our enemies should eer dare and storm my lady's castle."

He bowed. The way he said "my lady"—mine—rang in Ayla's ears. It was the most intense tone his voice had ever adopted. More intense then when he talked about killing people. More intense even than when he talked about her. This tone he only used when he was talking about killing people for her.