PROLOGUE

Abibliophobia - Hghrules

Prologue

What is the worst feeling in the world?

Is it doing all your homework and then showing up to class and realizing you forgot to do the assignment for first hour?

Is it asking your crush to the dance and getting the answer, "Sure! Just as friends, though"?

Is it hiding in your room, rocking back and forth on the floor and hugging your knees to your chest as the tears fall because you can't see a point anymore?

Is it sitting rigidly straight at your mother's funeral, smiling at friends but internally mourning the loss of the person you were closest to in the world?

Is it looking out your bedroom window and seeing the cars driving by and realizing that the world keeps moving on, not even aware of the beautiful mother it just lost?

Is it silently watching as your dad moves on, too, on to other women and other jobs and other states, all the while promising you that he hasn't forgotten?

Is it shielding your brother as your dad goes wild over a simple book, as the scientists haul him out the door and you lie to the cops about your age to ensure that you and your brother can stay together?

Is it guiding your brother, who has quickly become your last reason to live, your only hope, through the friggin' apocalypse, vainly hoping you can seek out a better life for the both of you?

Or is it crouching down next to him in his last moments, holding his hand and brushing the hair out of his eyes, and watching as he dies in your arms?

No, it's not any of those things.

Now, stop, don't try to tell me that I'm wrong because you've felt those things before and they hurt like heck. I know they hurt like heck. I've felt them before, too.

But I think the worst feeling in the world isn't watching your brother die, but, rather... realizing you could have done something to save him.

Could have carried him to safety. Could have pulled him out of the line of fire. Could have shielded him from the blast.

"Thank you," he said.

"I'm sorry," you replied.

You could have done something.

But you didn't.