New Challengers

Svtfoe Rwby AU By Luna Okumura

Marco Diaz was a regular kid by remnants standards. He got good grades, paid attention in school, and didn't get into trouble. He was a normal kid, unless you call wielding a staff that can shoot shotgun bullets a less than normal thing to do. After all, he was a student at Beacon Academy -- a school where the best aspiring hunters go to learn how to fight the creatures of Grimm. But even though he had a normal life, having his fun-loving blonde warrior teammate, Star Butterfly, practically floating over to the school "musician" (if you could even call him that), was less than normal. Well, at least for him, that is.

"I really don't understand how she constantly has the energy to oggle over him," Marco's hammer/grenade launcher-wielding teammate Janna Wilson remarked.

"Is it really that astonishing, Janna? She does it nearly every day," Marco said.

"Yeah I know, but still it's one of the world's greatest mysteries how a girl who is basically the most popular girl in the school cannot say more than 'Hey Oskar' everytime she walks past him".

Marco shrugged. "Yeah, I guess that's true, but I'm not one to judge. I couldn't even talk to Jackie when we became a team."

"Yeah, that too," Janna chuckled softly.

"Anyway, let's get back to the dorms. I'm sure Jackie's wondering where we are right now," said Marco, pulling Star away from Oskar with Janna in tow.

"Maaarrrcooo, come on! I was talking to Oskar," Star whined.

"C'mon Star. If we get to the dorm quickly, Marco will make his Super Awesome Nachos!"

"I never said that!" Marco huffed at Janna.

"Said what?"

"That I would make my Super Awesome Nachos."

"You did now!" Janna yelled as she ran off to their dorm.

"SuperAwesomeNachos!" Star said quickly, running to catch up to Janna.

Marco groaned before following the two to the dorm laughing. As Marco ran, he suddenly tripped on air.

"Geez, Little Red! For a warrior, you're really clumsy," said a male voice dripping with cockiness.

"Tom," Marco muttered, already feeling the urge to teach the bull Faunus a lesson even Ms. Heinous would fear.

"What? Can't keep my name out of your mouth, Little Red?" Tom taunted with his usual arrogant tone.

"Oh, shut up, you douchebag! Don't you have some girls to go creep on?"

"Says you! The only girl I'm after is Star. Speaking of her, where is she?"

"As if I would tell you, you horned demon," Marco snapped back, crossing his arms.

"You jealous she dated me and not your sorry ass?"

"Pfft, as if! Star and I are just friends. You sound like the jealous one to me, Tom." Marco smirked.

"Are you looking to get your ass kicked, Diaz!?" Tom reached for Wilt and Blush.

"I can't promise you won't leave without a scratch when I beat your ass into the pavement," chided Marco, grasping behind him for Ruyi Bang and Jingu Bang.

"Ok, let's just calm down before things get out of hand," said Spade the O in Tom's team, Team COBT (Cobalt).

"Fine, but next time, Diaz, your head is going to be on the chopping block -- literally," Tom threatened, walking away with Spade.

Marco let out an audible groan as he walked to his team's dorm. He saw the usual: Jackie Lynn Thomas relaxing on the bed, and Janna and Star goofing off.

"Great, Marco's here! Now make us your Super Awesome Nachos!"

"Star, c'mon! I'm really tired."

"As fearless leader of Team Battle, I command you make us nachos!" Star demanded.

Marco grumbled.

Star, wearing a smirk, walked over to Jackie and whispered something incoherent in her ear.

"Marcooo, if you made your nachos, I would really appreciate it," Jackie pleaded, adding a sultry smile to sweeten the deal.

"S-sure thing! I'll get on it," Marco stuttered, sweating at the sight of his crush.

Star and Janna shared a look of incredulousness as they snickered silently and high-fived.

Marco had always had a crush on Jackie Lynn Thomas, whether it was admiring her from afar or with the occasional science class notes or grim studies explanation. So when Marco discovered they were both aiming for Beacon Academy, it made him want to try even harder to achieve his goal. Although Marco was good in all other aspects, he still had his crippling social anxiety, so much so that he was practically the only one who was worried when he heard there were going to be assigned teams. His friend, Star Butterfly, assured him that he would be fine and would maybe make new friends at Beacon, but it fell on deaf ears.

Marco was lucky that his friend managed to find him after fighting the King Tiaju in the Emerald Forest. So when he and Star ran into Janna and Jackie riding an ursa, he was firm in the idea that he was either going to die or jump off a cliff on his first day. But here he is making nachos with the daughter of the headmaster, his lifelong crush, and a girl who basically attracted danger and blew up anything in her way. Most of the bad parts came from the school bully, Tom, who abused anyone weaker than him. It's puzzling how they would let someone like that lead a team, but he wouldn't challenge Professor Moon's judgement.

The oven dinged, letting Marco know it was time to take out the nachos. He grabbed his oven mitts and placed the steaming hot plate on the kitchen counter, then proceeded to clean up.

An: thank you for reading my Svtfoe rwby Au. S/O to my beta reader Steph without her my writing would look absolutely shit