Chapter One

"Anakin, tell me it isn't true. Tell me you haven't broken your oath to the Order."

Anakin averted his gaze to his feet, ashamed that he had kept the secret. However, in the same breath, he was not afraid to admit that he felt partially relieved to share it with the man he trusted most. "I cannot hide my feelings, Master. It's true. I'm in love with Padmé. She's my wife."

Obi-Wan shook his head slowly, which Anakin knew could mean anything. Twelve years together, and Anakin still found his master as unfathomable as the day they had first met above Tatooine.

"Please don't tell anyone, Master. Please...you can't." Even to Anakin, his plea sounded petulant, the words of a mere child. He decided to try another tack. "Who knows what they'll do to Padmé?"

"Not to mention you." Obi-Wan's voice was flat, uncompromising. "Anakin...I..." He looked as if there were a thousand things he wanted to say, none of which would make sense to anyone.

Anakin suddenly sensed the turmoil and indecision flowing through their Force bond in nearly overwhelming waves, and somewhere in his mind, he realized the awkward position he had just put his master in.

Obi-Wan pursed his lips as if trying to decide what else to say. "Anakin, I need some time to think. This is not a situation to take lightly."

You need some time to think? What about me? What am I supposed to tell Padmé? Anakin wanted to yell at Obi-Wan, wanted to extract answers from the elder Jedi, wanted to make some sort of sense from this mess.

Instead, he merely inclined his head, suppressing his violent urge to scream while feigning a comprehension that he did not feel. "I understand, Master."

Obi-Wan waved a hand dismissively at Anakin. "You should get some rest while you can."

Again, Anakin nodded before leaving the training area. He had only one destination in mind, and it definitely wasn't his room.

***

I should tell the Council. But I shouldn't. But I should. But I shouldn't. Walking the halls of the Temple, Obi-Wan pondered his most recent exchange with Anakin. He is a good kid, and yet...he is also the Chosen One. If he, of all people, chooses not to follow the Code, then what does that mean for the rest of us?

Pausing in front of a large picture window that overlooked the Coruscanti traffic, he let out a long sigh. He is my friend. But he is also my apprentice. Qui-Gon would have said... What would Qui-Gon have said?

Obi-Wan closed his eyes, and the instant he did, he could almost hear his old master's voice. Follow the Living Force. It will guide you in most situations.

It didn't take long before he felt sure that the Living Force would want Anakin and Padmé's illicit relationship to continue being hidden from the Council.

But if that was so, then why did all of his better judgement keep telling him otherwise?

***

When Anakin reached Padmé's and his shared apartment, he hesitated, not wanting to knock on that door. He knew he had to tell her. But he also didn't want to make his conversation with his master all the more real.

Unfortunately, it seemed he would have little choice in the matter as the door swung open. She said nothing, first quickly glancing around the hallway before ushering him safely inside. "Anakin? What are you doing here?"

"How did you know it was me? I didn't even knock." She shrugged, and he added with a sly grin, "Maybe you should have been a Jedi."

Laughing ever so slightly, she said, "Perhaps. But don't change the subject." Crossing her arms over her chest, she continued, "I know that you're avoiding something. Anakin, why are you here?"

Again trying to stall for more time, Anakin slowly wandered over to the balcony, glancing out over the picturesque Coruscanti skyline.

He felt Padmé's hand slip softly into his and tug him away, a reminder that it wasn't safe for him to be near any windows while he was here in the daylight.

"Ani, I can tell you're worrying." His wife gently reached up with her free hand and turned his face towards her, effectively locking their gazes together. "Please, tell me."

"I..." He sighed, hesitating yet again. She waited quietly as he struggled to find the words. Taking a deep breath, Anakin said, "He knows."

"Who knows what?"

"Obi-Wan...knows about....us."

***

Two hours of private meditation later found Obi-Wan sitting in front of Master Yoda in a side room, just off of the Council's main chambers. When Obi-Wan had entered, the small Jedi was perched in the center atop a cushion, and Obi-Wan knew better than to press the elderly master before he was ready.

Eyes still closed in quiet contemplation, the diminutive green alien finally spoke. "Nervous about something, you seem."

"I have...something...to tell you," Obi-Wan began uncertainly, subconsciously stalling for time.

His mentor was silent, unmoving. The only sign that he had even heard Obi-Wan's greeting was a gentle, almost imperceptible ripple of comfort flowing through their Force bond.

Tell me, it seemed to say.

Obi-Wan let out a long exhale. This was Yoda. If anyone would know what to do, it was him. "Anakin has broken his oath to the Jedi Order. He has...fallen...in love."

Though he knew it was Padmé, he chose to keep that a secret for the time being. It was safer, for both of them. Besides, if Yoda wanted to know, he would find out for himself.

"Hmm," the little master hummed lightly to himself. "A problem this is."

Obi-Wan nodded. "Yes. I...well, I was rather hoping that you could tell me what to do."

"Hmm," Yoda murmured again, this time deeper and more guttural, a sign that he was truly contemplating his next words.

His large eyes blinked open, locking with Obi-Wan's. "Always thinking with your logic, you are. Never with your mind, never with your instincts."

Frowning, Obi-Wan felt a sudden wave of discouragement threatening to overwhelm him. "But, Master-"

"No, no, no. No buts." The elder master whacked Obi-Wan gently with his gimer stick, a gesture so familiar that Obi-Wan couldn't help but smile. "Learned nothing in your years of experience have you? Trust in the Force.

"Instincts, they are good. Speaks to us through them, the Force does. What are yours telling you? To them listen, and answer they will."

Listen to his instincts? That was wonderful advice, except for one small problem: he had no idea what his instincts were saying.

Masking his turmoiling feelings, he stood, nodding at Yoda. "Thank you, Master." He bowed from the waist before exiting the room.