Chapter Eight

I've decided. I need to do something about Lyle. I feel like I'm leading him on and I don't want to do that to him. It wouldn't be fair. So, I've decided that I need to stop it before it goes too far.

I take a deep breath and pull myself off of my bed. Before I can take a single step toward the door, it slams open and Jane flies into my room. I get tackled into a hug by her and we fall back onto the bed. We start laughing and just lay there for a while; reveling in the peace and quiet for a second.

Emily walks into the room and before she can say a single word, Jane pops up and starts talking, "We should have a sleepover."

Emily and I both give each other confused glances before turning our gaze onto Jane.

"We're already sleeping in the same house..." I trail off.

Jane rolls her eyes and shifts toward me, "I know that... I think we should all get together, in one room, and just hang out for the night. Just us girls. Including Madison, of course."

As it happens, Madison was just walking by when Jane was speaking. She stops in mid-step and turns so she is leaning against the door frame. "What about me?" She asks.

Jane goes over to her and pulls her into the room while repeating, "I was just saying how us girls should hang out tonight. Like a sleepover."

Madison gasps a little and clasps her hand in excitement, "I haven't had a sleepover in ages. Plus, we could all use the break."

Jane looks at Emily and me in anticipation. It doesn't take long for me to agree, "We have been working hard..."

It surprises me when Emily quickly corrects her posture, grins, and exclaims, "Let's do it!"

I stare wide-eyed at her for a second before Jane voice brings me back to reality.

Jane turns to Madison, "Okay, Madison, you get all the blankets and pillows you can find and bring them up here to Kate's room," Madison nods and heads out while Jane turns to my sister, "Emily, you're in charge of snacks. So bring up all the junk food you can find," when Emily goes to protest, Jane puts her hand up to stop her and continues, "It's one night, it's not going to kill you. You're still going to look good for the wedding."

Emily starts walking to the door while mumbling, "Yeah, or pregnant."

Jane and I silently laugh before she continues with our responsibilities, "I'll get the drinks while you get the movies. Sound good?"

"Yeah, sure. Are we going chick-flick or action adventure?" I ask.

"Chick-flick all the way. This is a wedding after all." Jane answers.

"I don't know what I was thinking." I sarcastically say as I head out the door after Jane.

We pass Madison on the staircase tripping over a bunch of blankets while barley being able to see.

I shake my head as we continue downstairs.

I raid the cabinet in the living room that holds all of the movies while the other girls continue with their assigned tasks. I end up taking up all the rom-coms I could find and then some more classic chick-flick movies. So, I am literally surprised, not to mention relieved, when I make it up the stairs without falling and breaking something.

I drop the movies on the bed that also contained a boat-load of junk food and a pillow mountain.

I watch as Emily and Madison make a tent out of all the bedding that was brought up. As I watch them, I realize we don't have a television in here.