33

I head down hallway to my room , suddenly realizing that Hanna left me with the honor of telling my parents about the broken bathroom window.

So while they cuddle up on the living room sofa, I go check out the damage. It's even worse than I thought. Not just a tiny crack or hole; the window is completely smashed in.

I grab a dustpan and brush, and start to sweep it all up, but then I notice a trace of mud on the floor. It trails across the ceramic tiles to the hallway and then toward my bedroom. My mind races . I glance back at the window.

Both the pane and screen have been pulled up. Like someone climbed through.

I look toward the shower, wondering if someone might be in there now. Slowly I approach it, my pulse quickening. I snatch a razor from the vanity, preparing myself to fight.

In one quick motion, I whisk the curtain open and let out a gasp.

But luckily it's empty.

My chest heaving, I try to get a grip, remind myself that my parents are only four rooms away. I inch down the hallway to my room. The door is closed, even though I know I left it open.

The razor still gripped between my fingers, I turn the knob, step inside, and see it: the word BITCH written across my dresser mirror in dark red lipstick.

· · ·

Thoughts can become a reality ~ J.B.

~ Malum