Chapter Eight

I woke up with my hair being stroked away from my face, I looked up and Elle was sitting over me with a dreamy look on her face. I grinned and rubbed my head against her as she laughed, but she wasn’t all there.

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, you’re going back to work soon.” she said running finger nails across my scalp, soothing everything. “I don’t want you to go.”

“I’ve got too; I’ve got some important things to do this year.” I sighed rubbing my eyes so I could see her slightly better. “What time is it?”

“Half 8.” She stated picking up her book and reading in silence as I watched, it sounds creepy, but she’s my wife and it sounds boring, but she mouthed words when she can’t pronounce them and makes face as people in her book do.

“What do you want for breakfast?”

“Grapes.”  She said after a few moments thought. “And tea.”

“No bacon?” I asked thinking of the thick bacon she’d bought yesterday.

“Nope, just grapes, it’s a summer thing.” She grinned pulling her glasses off the bedside table and snuggling deeper into the newly released duvet.

A knock sounded at the door the second my foot left the last stair, I opened it too see the warm smiling face of Dumbledore. “Ah Severus, so glad I didn’t wake you.”

“I was just about to make breakfast.”

“SEEEVVV!” the shout sounded from upstairs.

“Hello Mrs Snape, may I congratulate you.”  Dumbledore replied and I could see her face now, and it was bright red.

“Thank you Professor. Would you like some tea?” she asked standing at the top of the stairs in a baggy dressing gown.

“Yes, you’ve made your own impression here Elizabeth, much more homely already.” He smiled sitting at the kitchen table waiting for his tea.

“She likes pretty things.” I sighed looking at my once clear work surfaces, they now had tea and coffee tins, an ornament sat on the windowsill grinning up at us and the tea towels were bright yellow.

“Now, about what we have planned for this school year.” He started and I looked over the Elle who was in a world of her own toasting some scones on the grill. Scones? “It shall be starting immediately as you are aware; in fact Mr Malfoy has already started.”

“That I am aware I’m sure Narcissa will come running to me any day now.”

“I like Narcissa, she’s lovely.” Elle added.

“Are you listening?”

“Nope, just heard Narcissa, it’s not an everyday word is it?” she stuck her tongue out and gave us a plate each before disappearing.

“Always liked her.” He smiled taking a bite of the warm scone as I pushed mine to one side. “Anyway, yes I want you to get Draco to trust you, he will need your help but if you push him too hard he’ll push you back.”

“You know as good as I do that the Dark Lord has told me to make sure he keeps on track during Hogwarts so it’ll be hard not to push him too hard.”

“Yes, but I have faith in you Severus when Narcissa comes, do what you thinks best.” He smiled taking another bite. “Your wife is an excellent cook.”

“She bought them.” I smirked

“Well then she has good taste.”

--

I pulled out all my trousers, the weather was going to get colder soon, September was nearly here and what followed September? Cold, and at Hogwarts, snow. And skirts were not good in cold weather, unless accompanied by thick tights and high boots. But I didn’t feel like tights it was going to be a trouser winter for sure.

Sev’s case sat in the corner, being packed as things slowly came through the wash, I’d probably move back into my house when he leaves, this house is his, and it would feel weird being here without him. I slipped a pair of my pants into the bottom, between his shirts, that would make him laugh.

Soon work would be all I had, seven weeks with him and two as my husband. He’ll be gone in a few days, how would I cope without him?

I’d had to write my parents a letter, if I saw them he-who-must-not-be-named said he’d kill them himself. I wasn’t allowed any details, but basically that I wouldn’t be seeing them again for a very long time if at all and that I was being taken care of. My house phone rang for two days, but I was scared. What if I picked it up and heard him killing them because I’d picked up?

Sev was all I had to live for right now, and I wouldn’t be letting him go easily.