Mondays=Books!

Hello, Meepleepers! I'm DessTehPhoenix, and welcome to our marvelous Monday!

Now, as mentioned before, Mondays are the days when I get a bit of advertisement in. I like to keep the excerpts fairly relevant, since I am feeling very much like I am living in the apocalypse, here's an excerpt from one of my newest books, Apocalypse Dawn!

***

The living room is filled with food, people, and various decorations. My parents sit at one side, talking to each other about New Year's resolutions or something. My sister, Wren, and I sit on the opposite couch, finishing up the meatballs. Bright paper hangs down, and sparkly stickers cover the walls.

The TV shines with thousands of faces, a few lucky ones being interviewed about the upcoming year. Bands preform. People dance. Parties are being held all across the country.

Me? I'm spending the last hours of the new year on my phone, halfheartedly checking my notifications. Wren reaches for my plate, and I hand it to her, watching as she happily devours the rest of the meatballs.

At 11:55, my sister is asleep. My parents are still up, but barely. I'm wide awake, and I don't see myself going to sleep anytime soon.

Suddenly, my phone lights up. I pick it up, unlocking it to see a text from Skye.

Claire? It reads. 11:56. You still awake?

Of course! You know me, with my 'creature of the night' complex going on. I reply, smiling.

However, the smile fades moments after when it lights up again. Claire, we've got a code orange in the first sector.

11:57. What do you mean? What happened?

She doesn't reply. The people on the TV sing and dance, drinks raised to the end of the year.

I suddenly feel myself longing to be them. They are free, happy. I know that as soon as Skye replies, I won't be.

Right at 11:59, she finally answers. Remember all the times we talked about the apocalypse?

The ball drops. Confetti flies on the happy people.

And I start the new year with a sinking feeling in my chest.
***

A little short, a little rough. But hey, isn't that what the apocalypse is all about?

...no? Alright. I'll have to work on that.

But anyways, that's all we have for today! Stay tuned for tomorrow, where I try the dares that have been sent in!

Namarie, Meepleepers!