Chapter I

"What's unacceptable is the double dealing that Pakistan's been engaged in for years. So here's what's going to happen either Saul Berenson gets returned to this embassy quickly and quietly or we put Pakistan's two billion dollar aid package a year under review."

As the US delegation glared at the Pakistani delegation, the atmosphere in the conference room crackled with tension so thick it could be cut with a knife.

Andrew Lockhart, CIA Director's words hanging in between them, provoked the Pakistan delegation led by General Bunran (Bunny) Latif to their feet in protest

Andrew Lockhart, CIA Director's words hanging in between them, provoked the Pakistan delegation led by General Bunran (Bunny) Latif to their feet in protest. The General smiled with practiced politeness and nodded, "Good day Madam Ambassador."

Aasar Khan Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Counter Terrorism Chief's stony expression belied restraint at Lockhart's hypocrisy. He had surveillance of Sandy Bachman. The late CIA station chief was talking to the same terrorists Lockhart was accusing the ISI of talking to. Khan didn't do deals with terrorists. That was for politicians and diplomats who were trying to negotiate the release of Saul and restore relations with the US. Much as he recognised the necessity of dialogue with unsavoury people, his involvement was restricted to following orders.

Carrie noticed tension in the body language of senior Pakistan policy and military officials filing out of the conference room. That was the chink in the armour she could exploit. Before Saul was captured by the Taliban, he counselled her to find common ground with Aasar Khan.

Carrie bristled at the absurdity of the idea of giving an inch to Khan when the ISI had not guaranteed the safety of embassy security personnel. Sandy Bachman her predecessor was a case in point. From their first meeting, Khan had been polite but firm. He knew the drone strike she authorised on a wedding party caused civilian losses including women and children. Drone strikes Khan said were a miscalculation singlehandedly turning public opinion by confirming terrorist propaganda and poisoning public opinion against their American allies. Her mind replayed the end of her first meeting with Khan.

***

"You may have outraged the Iraq government by sneaking into a male prison to interrogate Hasan Ibrahim, the terrorist bomb maker but those tactics will not be condoned in Pakistan. I will not hesitate to have you expelled for the next diplomatic faux pas that further harms relations in this region," he warned.

It was her actions in Iraq gave her information about Abu Nazir's plan to attack the US through an American prisoner of war that had been turned, Nicholas Brody. Her actions led to that whole terrorist network being dismantled. Exasperated Carrie replied, "I'm gonna do my job Lt. Col. Khan and I have no doubt you will do yours. I'm sure your men have already told you I'm not an easy person to keep an eye on," she nodded towards the window where the ISI unmarked vehicles tailing her were waiting for her exit from his luxurious air conditioned offices.

"We will redouble our efforts Ms Mathison," Khan couldn't help smiling at her attempts to mock surveillance that had uncovered a great deal about her predecessor's operations in Islamabad.