Chapter Three

The air was knocked from my lungs and although I never knew the man Austin spoke of I still felt the intense feeling of sadness begin to swallow me whole. I looked out at the fields and back to Austin's pale face.

"Who?" I asked, dreading the inevitable answer.

"My father," he replied. "A telegram came this morning saying he was killed in action and for some reason I still hope and wish that he is alive and MIA or something, you know?"

I nodded my head. "I do understand but don't you rather want to accept it? Save your heart much more aching?"

Austin smiled a sad smile. "Nope. If he is dead, which he is not, then my heart will ache but why let it ache before his death is really confirmed?"

My eyebrow rose and so did his, mimicking me. "You make no sense! You Americans never make sense!"

"Don't blame my nationality! I am a proud American, anyway." He shrugged before he cracked a small smile.

I smiled back and then he suddenly fell into the snow. He began to move his arms and legs making a snow angel. "Come on! Join me!"

I shook my head. "No! It's cold and the snow will wet--" he pulled me down, ignoring me.

I lay in the snow for a while before I turned my head to the side to look at Austin. He was perfect. His jaw was perfectly chiseled, his lips were full and although they were a little thick they were perfect, his eyes were the perfect size and the perfect shade of green and his nose was perfect to me which was rare because people tended to have either flat or sharp noses but his was just...perfect.

His lips parted as if he was going to say something and then he leaned up on his elbows and looked down at me. The snow was beginning to seep into me coat and then my clothes but I somehow still felt warm under his thoughtful, penetrating gaze.

"The world is such a strange place, isn't it? Beautiful but so ugly at the same time." Did he want me to respond to that?

"It is." Was all I could come up with and he seemed more than satisfied with my reply.

"You know before I met you I used to see the world as a dull place that just took whoever and whatever they wanted from you." He paused. "Now this might sound cliché but the first time I saw you it was like I saw an angel and I'm not trying to conflict you with anything but sometimes a person needs to meet someone else to remind them that there is still more people out there--" he looked out into the distance, not dramatically though and then he continued, "people who can change my perspective on life and make life worthwhile, I guess." He shrugged.

He looked at me and then his eyes slightly widened as if he had realized he had made a mistake and he began to shake his head.

"No, no, no, Austin, I get it I think that I might've felt the same way without actually realizing it."

He looked into my eyes and smiled. I felt all of my blood rush to my cheeks. Austin chuckled at my embarrassment. "You're really beautiful."

I sharply inhaled and then sprang to my feet and looked down at Austin. "It's like bellow zero degrees and we're laying in the snow! Come on." I held my hand out for him to take.

Austin's left eyebrow rose and his lips upturned into a childish smile and he shook his head slowly as if he was taunting me. I groaned in frustration like a child on the verge of throwing a tantrum. "Austin!" I whined. "You'll freeze! You'll get hypothermia and die!"

He laughed and rose from the snow. "Are you happy now?"

I nodded. "Now, would you like to come to my home for some coffee or tea or something?" I fiddled with my fingers.

"Phoebe Grace, it sounds like you're desperate," he teased.

I hit his shoulder playfully and then we began to walk to my home. He told me about his family and I learned that he has a younger sister, Lisa, and his extended family was basically non existent. His father had volunteered to participate in the War because of his own reasons which no one knew of, only he knew.

I was shocked to find out that Austin was the sole trader in his family because he was so young and he should have the freedom of living his life fully and he should not have to grow up faster than necessary. He explained that his mother did work but she wasn't a very young woman so he did not like the fact that she had to work as if she were in her thirties. I admired Austin Mahone's love and need to care for his family but I felt sympathy for the man and I knew he did not want my sympathy.

By the time we reached the house breakfast time was clear by the hauntingly mouthwatering smell of bacon and eggs which drifted through your nostrils, caressing them, and the humid air that combusted in the kitchen. There were only three in the kitchen but you would think it was twenty by the sound of things.

The wooden floor creaked underneath Austin and I as we made our way to the kitchen. My mother was setting the plates on the dining table which was adjacent to the kitchen, Aunt Calley was busied by the stove which hosted the bacon and eggs and Harold was applying butter to some toast.

I smiled. "Good morning!" I said.

"I was wondering where the devil you were!" Aunt Calley exclaimed.

"G'morning, Dear!" My mother graced my cheek with a kiss. "Oh morning to you too, Mr Mahone."

"Morning, Ma'am," he politely greeted.

"Austin! How are you?" Harold stepped towards Austin completely ignoring me.

I watched my cousin and Austin do some weird hug that guys do when they see each other. I walked over to my Aunt and pecked her cheek.

Breakfast followed soon after and once again the table was lively. The buzz was loud and almost music to my ears, allegro being its tempo. Austin volunteered to wash up with Harold so I wandered off into the living room where Aunt Calley and my mother sat.

I plopped down beside my mother and sighed.

"You like him," said Aunt Calley.

I looked at her and burst out laughing. "No, Aunt Calley he is just a friend."

"I can see it in your eyes, Honey and you like that boy. A lot." My mother spoke this time.

I groaned. Maybe I did like Austin but that was not important at this moment because we were in the midst of a War and death and heartache waited for us on the other side of the wall. It was impossible to love in an atmosphere filled with complete and utter hatred but then again hatred was not the opposite of love.

****

So I'm on holiday! Yay! But it's extremely short (2 weeks) so don't expect a lot of updates or anything. Please tell your friends about this book and spread the word guys!

Please vote and comment and please notify my wherever there is an error so I can fix it! I don't enjoy editing.

~Trisha