Pushed to the Limit

Author's note: And I'll be publishing a chapter every Monday. Please tell me what you think.

Disclaimer: I disclaim the idea and rules of vampires created by Stephenie Meyers. I only own the characters that I created (which is practically all of them) :P

Chapter 11: Pushed to the Limit

The next couple days, I was not allowed to leave the house alone. An awkwardness persist between Stephen and I. Nightmares plague my nights for the wall between us drove Stephen from the room. I could not bring myself to ask him to stay. I would not be able to sleep if he was in the room, watching me. But, I fear sleep itself now.

Towards the end of this awful week, I came to the decision to leave, to protect them from Erik's obsession with either killing or changing me for I feared that they would destroy themselves trying to protect me. I feared what Stephen would do if I did finally die from Erik or old age for I now knew how he felt towards me. I could not let him destroy himself because me.

"Elizabeth, I'm heading out to see what Alice and Sabastion are doing. Kay?" I asked Elizabeth. Alice and Sabastion were in the garage.

"Do whatever you want. What am I your keeper?" She scoffed. Elizabeth was in charge of watching me while Ethella, Endymoin and Stephen were out hunting.

I had a small nondescript bag on my back. Inside, I had a change of clothes, water bottle, knife, a spool of strong thread, this notebook, needle, a dozen or so writing utensils and some fruit from the kitchen. Unfortunately, a blanket and tarp would have been too conspicuous to bring as well. I left a note in the place of the fruit hoping they would not find it too soon. I wore a sturdy pair of jeans, a thick flannel shirt and sailor sweater.

Once, I was in the cover of the trees, I veered towards the creek. I slipped into a tarped canoe, laid down and let the water guide the canoe through the ancient forest. A few hours later, the canoe spilled into the river, the Wolf River. It was then that I started to paddle.

Uninhabited islands dotted the waters. One such island, was where I would take shelter. I drifted into the night and chose one by the rising sun, hoping that was far enough. A thickly wooded, large island in the middle the wide waters.

I beached the canoe, pushed it into undergrowth that spilled over into the river, making sure the canoe would not break free unwantedly. The river can become dangerous around any bend. I already battle through several series of rapids. They don't call it the river of the Rabid Wolf for nothing.

Once I was sure of security, I fell into an exhausted sleep right there on the bank.