Chapter 1

3 years ago

"Samantha! Wake up!!"

My eyes jolt open. I'm already sitting up and find my mom standing over me, her hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Are you OK? You just sat up and started screaming about how 'demon's are coming'. You scared me."

I guess I had a nightmare. This one I don't remember though, and lately I've been having them. A lot. But I've never woken up like this before.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry."

My mom shrugs and goes back to getting ready for work, and I grab my phone to check the time. 6:00 am. Great.

At least it's Friday, I think.

I crawl out of my warm bed and my feet hit the cold, wooden floor. I head over to my closer and choose out my usual outfit, some dark blue skinny jeans, a tank top, and a sweatshirt to really complete my "I don't care that I didn't try today" look.

I throw my hair up in a ponytail, and head over to my vanity to do my makeup.

By the time I'm done with that, I brush my teeth and check the time. 6:40.

I spit out the minty toothpaste, rinse my teeth with water one more time, and go to put on my gray timberlands.

I wait inside for my bus to turn the corner, before heading out. It's great living right across the street from your bus stop.

Throwing my over my shoulder, I see the yellow bus make its way down the road.

"Love you, bye mom." I shout as I head out.

Of course, the bus is full like usual. I find a seat next to some middle school kid who has his hood up. He appears to be sleeping but when I sit down, I feel him shift a little.

I pull out my phone and scroll though Facebook until we get to the middle school where most of the kids get off. I let out the kid sitting in my seat and sit back down by the window, throwing my feet in the seat also.

I put my headphones in and turn my music up as loud as it can go, drowning out the world with Twenty Øne Pilots.

...

Before I knew it, we were at school. I wait for the line of high schoolers to shuffle off the bus, with me trailing them.

I drop some of my books off at my locker and head to my first hour, US history.

The rest of the day drags on.

I sigh with relief as I get back on the bus at the end of the day, thankful I get to go home and take a nap now.

The bulls pulls up to my stop and I hop off, almost jogging to my front door.

But I notice something strange. My mom's car is still here, and the door is slightly cracked open. My stomach curls... Gently pushing the door open, I slowly step in.

I cover my mouth so I don't scream.

The house is in shambles, the kitten table over turned, papers everywhere, broken glass.... And oh my god.... What looks like blood!

I feel the tears start to burn the back of my eyes, begging to be let out.

"Mom!" I yell, not sure what would scare me more. If she did answer, or if she didn't.