Chapter 15: The Keys to Success

Two days went by since Inspector Duff came to visit. The hypnosis Ross used on him certainly was successful. The same night Ross hypnotized him, Inspector Duff rushed back to the police station to dig deeper into the murder case of York Victor. He came to a conclusion that Rochelle had been arrested without investigating York's death properly. Inspector Duff came to a new conclusion that the current owner of Victor's, York's former shoe manufacturing business was more of a suspect than Rochelle. They placed him under arrest and opened a new case. All charges against Rochelle had been dropped and they paid her quite a large amount of money for pain and suffering. Rochelle and Debbie had plans to move back to Germany to start a new life there with the large amount of money she had been insured with. Ross did not like the idea of saying goodbye to his only close relative, but he knew that they needed to escape Chicago as soon as they could.

"Are you guys sure about moving to back Germany?" Ross asked at the table the following morning.

"Yes we are completely sure! I just think it would be better for me and Auntie Deb to start a new life somewhere with more culture."

Ross, Rochelle and Trevor finished their breakfast and went to wait in the lounge for Debbie to get back from the post office. Rochelle had already got their passports ready for when they moved. She also found a lovely house in Stuttgart for the two of them surrounded by lots of Antique shops and cafes. Ross and Trevor had a busy day ahead of them. Ross was scheduled to start recording his very first album today. Debbie and Rochelle's bags were all lined up in the living room containing only clothes and small memorable objects. A few moments later Debbie arrived back at her apartment moist from head to toe because of the clammy weather carrying a stack of letters in one hand and a grocery bag in the other.

"Here we go, got some things for us to munch on our flight, just need to hide them well. Rossi dear are you sure you are going to be okay here by yourself? I can't even tell you how much I am stressing about leaving my only godson here alone in Chicago." Debbie said throwing away the stack of letters she was carrying.

"I will be fine aunty Deb, you do not have to worry about me, just worry about your trip and whether or not the airline food will be any good for your digestive system. I heard those airplane bathrooms are pretty small and there is no ventilation." Ross said in a humorous manner.

"Oh don't be silly my boy!" Debbie said throwing her hands up in the air. "Okay, Chelle are you ready to leave?"

"I am indeed. Everything is here so we can be on our way. Ross I am not sure when I will be seeing you again, but please take care of yourself. You are my baby brother and we have been through some rough stuff these last couple of months." Rochelle said and grabbed on to Ross' shoulders.

"I will be fine sis. Do not worry about be. Please just enjoy your time back in Germany and do not forget to call or send me a message once in a while and about the entire spirit thing, do not worry about it, I feel great and it is not getting me down in any way. I think I learned the secret of controlling it and how the whole hypnotizing thing works." The three of them grabbed on to each other and sobbed softly.

Ross and Trevor were walking down Clarke Street at one in the afternoon on their way to Pibels Studios. Ross felt overwhelmed with excitement and could not shake the idea of becoming rich and famous worldwide every time something music related came up which involved him. The two of them arrived at the studio a few moments later. Ross noticed that Mr Pibels' limousine was parked out at front along with some other elaborate vehicles all lined up next to each other. These were obviously the cars of wealthy record dealers who wanted to hear Ross play. Ross and Trevor arrived at the recording room only to discover Mr Pibels and a few other men all dressed in expensive suites smoking cigars and drinking half full glasses of whiskey.

"Ugh, these people are so ratchet. I can't believe this is what I have to put up with." Ross said to Trevor and took a deep breath.

"Mr Pibels I am here!" Ross said trying not to sound irritated.

"Great kid, it is about time. Guys this is my little star I was telling you about, Ritch".

"Ross..." Ross corrected and rolled his eyes.

"Ross, sorry. He will be recording today so if any of you are willing to offer him a deal after his performance just say the word."

Ross was staring at the groups of men and wondered which song would blow their minds the most. He was struggling to decide which one could offer him the best deal. The sound of pure piano jazz was filling the room a few moments later and everyone there seemed to be relaxed. Ross was busy engaging in his music and blocked out everything and everyone around him. His eyes started glowing emerald green as he started the second verse of a song he never knew he could play. For some reason, a voice kept running through his head, the voice of a woman. The voice reminded him of his mother for some reason and was mainly the reason he kept on playing better and better. You have got them right where you want them.

Ross noticed that some of them were either clicking their fingers and the others were tapping their feet. It seemed obvious to Ross that he had them right where he wanted them just like the voice in his head told him. His fingers twisted and turned all through the keys and came to a gentle stop. His eyes slowly returned to its normal shade of green. One of the record dealers jumped up and the whole room fell quiet.

"Ricardo Da Silva here from Octave International. I will make you an offer of one million once off and a life time recording deal here at Pibels Studios with Pibels himself as your manager. All I ask in return is that all your work, that is to say the music you write and record belongs to Octave International". Ross did not hesitate for a minute. He was familiar with the works of Octave International and was hoping to get a chance to work for them one day.

Two champagne glasses clinked loudly in the air. Ross and Trevor was standing in Debbie's living room holding two champagne glasses in their hands and a signed recording contract on the dining room table. Ross decided that Octave International would be the best decision for his career in music. He was however not satisfied that Mr Pibels would be his manager. Ross kept thinking of the spirit within him and wondered how much influence it had on what happened today and why did he hear a voice that reminded him of his mother?

"Could this day get any better? What did that guy say after you went to Mr Pibels' office?" Trevor said deviously.

"Just some terms and conditions crap, how I will be paid, when I am starting my first album, where my albums are going to be sold and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't remember." Ross said and took a sip of his champagne.

"Well my devious friend. We start early in the morning. Make sure you get loads of sleep so that you are fresh tomorrow and so will I. Got to be fresh when we make plans to become rich!" Trevor said in a pretend Italian accent.

"Indeed my pale friend, indeed." The two of them toasted once more and danced through the house like two mentally ill patients. Ross knew that he struck a gold mine and that this would be his big break. As walked into his room he saw that his computer's light was blinking and noticed that he received an email from Mr Pibels which read:

Good Job Kid.

I got a call from Da Silva a few minutes ago and he told me that they are busy making arrangements for your new album to be recorded in LA. He also told me that he owns a couple of restaurants and wished that you perform there from time to time. You have got potential kid and you are going places, mark my words. Keep up the good work!

Mr Pibels.