Chapter 5

When we came home, it was seven or eight o'clock. Darry and Soda were wrestling on the floor, as I relaxed on the couch. Pony threw a soda pop bottle and I left it on my leg.

"You OK lil mama?" Soda asked.

"Yeah, tired." I yawned.

"We all are mentally and physically."

 "If you would stop wrestling, then you wouldn't be physically tired." I grinned.

"Like this?" Soda said as he threw me over his shoulder and whirled us around.

I was dizzy when he set me on my feet.

 I felt my stomach growl and Darry said, "What's for dinner?"

 "Baby, I'm guessin' some baby back ribs, corn, blue potatoes, and for dessert, chocolate cake and chocolate covered strawberries." I said.

When we were finished eating, Two-Bit came in storming mad, mumbling, and cussed under his breath. "Two-Bit?" I asked, awkwardly walking towards him.

"The back up beer." he said, as tears came out of his eyes.

"It's OK. PONY! Back up beer." I said.

Two-Bit went on-and-on about his dad. He eventually got drunk and passed out. Before he'd passed out, he'd told me he had gotten into another fight with his dad. His dad would kill him if he ever stepped foot in his house again. While he slept, Darry and I had chocolate milk and discussed what we were going to do.

That morning, Darry and I woke up early and went to Two-Bit's house, and talked to his mother (we left a note on the icebox letting them know that we were coming back). We packed their things and put it in our truck. When Two-Bit's sister woke up, we heard yelling and crying. She dashed into the kitchen where we were at, and she came to me for protection. I called her "Mattie" because every time I came over to Two-Bit's house, she was asleep on the mat. Her dad was red with with anger and Mattie had one hand on her face. Ms. Matthews had told me to keep her at our house until she could find a better place for them. Darry was getting the truck ready, when Mattie was sitting in the middle seat.

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!! IT'S MY HOUSE!!" Mr. Matthews was yelling.

I bent down to pick up the last of the luggage when Mr. Matthews threw a knife and I went into my thigh. I pulled it out and winced. Darry had called after me and we went home. When Two-Bit woke up, he tripped over his luggage.

"What- wh-" he said.

 "I'll explain later but don;t get too loud." I said.

"Why is her face, red and blue?"

"Your dad."

 "- my dad!"

 "Hey, at least you have a dad that's living."

Mattie woke up, and she reached towards Two-Bit and he took her and gave her a blanket.

"Is that why our stuff is here?"

"Yes, Darry and I moved it over her early this morning. Your mom's at a hotel. We thought it would be better if you guys were in a better home so you would be put in a boy's home." I sat down and showed Two-Bit my bandage.

"What happened?"

"Your dad threw a knife at me. I guessed it worked." I winced.

"Your mom needs an adult to talk to. You and Mattie are going to stay here until she can get a safer home. I'm only fourteen! I feel like I'm forty-one! She's doin' this to protect you two. And as a 'mother', I think it's better too."