Chapter 2 - A Day In Camp

After a couple hours sitting in the nursery Spottedkit finally decided to venture out of the nursery with Lionkit and Tigerkit. It was so much brighter outside than it had been in the nursery.
   Spottedkit stood turning his head to see the whole camp as Lionkit and Tigerkit waited. He wasn't sure what to think when he looked at the camp.
   The nursery was a hole in the side of a stone wall and right next to it was a big bush with brambles tangled through it.
   "That's the apprentices den. It's where me and Lionkit will be going to sleep in about a moon." Tigerkit said excitedly.
   "You're not staying in the nursery with me?" Spottedkit asked as he looked up at the brothers.
   "In six moons you'll be in there with us if we aren't warriors by that time." Lionkit said trying to cheer up Spottedkit.
   "Come on! Let's go see the warriors den!" Tigerkit said as he started running across the clearing to another den that looked just like the apprentice den but was bigger."This is where we'll be sleeping when we become warriors!"
   Spottedkit looked at the bush with mild interest before he saw a gray she-cat with stripes come out of another small hole in the stone wall except ferns lined the opening."What's that?" he asked looking up at the brothers.
   "That's the medicine cats den. It's where Sageleaf sleeps and keeps her herbs. She takes care of cats that are sick or wounded." Lionkit said before he started walking towards a log."Follow the leader!"
   "You're not a leader!" Tigerkit yowled as he followed his brother with Spottedkit right behind him.
   "I might be some day and if I am you'll be my deputy!" Lionkit chirped happily.
   Once next to the log Spottedkit peered in to see two cats grooming themselves. The two cats stopped when they saw them at the entrance of the log.
   "Hello Lionkit and Tigerkit. Who's the little one?" a reddish brown tom asked as he walked over and looking down at Spottedkit who kneaded the ground nervously.
   "Hi Cliffweed. He's Nightpelt's kit." Tigerkit said nudging Spottedkit with his paw.
   "Ashpelt's newest kit." a pale orange tabby she-cat meowed as she walked slowly over to them."You look exactly like him."
   "What's your name?" Cliffweed asked looking at Spottedkit.
   "Spottedkit." the small kit mumbled.
   "It suites you." Cliffweed meowed before moving closer so his nose was almost touching Spottedkit's nose. It was a couple moments later that he moved away and looked outside of the log."You have a short journey ahead of you little one."
   "Crazy old medicine cats." Tigerkit mumbled making Cliffweed flash a warning look at him.
   "He doesn't mean to scare you. I'm Morningsun." the orange she-cat said as she looked at Spottedkit.
   "Well we'd better show him the rest of camp before the sun sets!" Lionkit said looking down at Spottedkit.
   "Bye Cliffweed. Bye Morningsun." Spottedkit called out as he followed the brothers to a spot below a little ledge.
   "That up there is Highledge!" Tigerkit said excitedly as Spottedkit twisted his head to the side so he could see the whole ledge with the hole in the stone wall on top of it."That's where Moonstar calls his clan meetings and the hole is where him and Lilyfoot sleep."
   Movement caught Spottedkit's eye making him look to see a group of cats walk through a short stone tunnel that led outside of camp. One tom in the group looked just like him but bigger with two eyes that could see.'Is that my father?' Spottedkit thought as he watched the tom walk to the nursery.
   "Lionkit! Tigerkit!" Sorrelfoot called out as she walked out of the nursery.
   "Time to go back to the nursery." Tigerkit said looking at his brother.
   Spottedkit followed them until they got to the nursery where he heard his mother talking to the tom."Ashpelt your son won't be like every other kit. He's born different." Nightpelt's voice said softly.
   "What do you mean?" Ashpelt asked as Spottedkit sat outside the nursery wanting to hear what his parents had to say.
   "Spottedkit only has one good eye. He finally opened them this morning." Nightpelt meowed before it went quiet.
   Spottedkit sat silently as he waited for his father to answer. As second turned to minutes he started to feel uneasy.
   "I named him Spottedkit because he looks just like you." Spottedkit's mother said sounding hurt.
   "Where is he?" Ashpelt asked.
   "He was with Tigerkit and Lionkit earlier." Nightpelt meowed softly."Don't judge him Ashpelt."
   Paw steps came towards the entrance making Spottedkit panic as he backed up but he tripped over his own paws in the process. Standing up he shook off all the dust that had stuck to his fur before looking up to see Ashpelt watching him.
   Spottedkit walked over to him timidly as the tom watched him. Nightpelt came out of the nursery to stand above Spottedkit once the kit was a tail-length from Ashpelt.
   "I don't want him named Spottedkit. His name is Hollowkit from now on." Ashpelt said before he walked away.