Chapter nine: Alex

We escaped the mayor’s office through the vent and started slowly making our way to the gates that led to the human world. I watched our surroundings closely. I couldn’t risk us getting caught. Not after when we came so close. “Those gates look big.” Daniel whispered as we approached the gates. I nodded.

“They are; you think you can do this?” He smiled with a different kind of determination.

“Yes,” he replied. Aaron sighed and squeezed Panda’s hand.

“Let’s get this over with,” He said. Gavin handed me the keys and I walked closer. My hands were shaking but I knew this was something I had to do.

“And where do you think you guys are going?” A voice demanded. We all froze.

“This is it; we are gonna die.” Gavin said. The voice laughed and I growled.

“Ryan,” I muttered. He smiled and jumped down from a nearby tree.

“Where are you guys going?” He asked, approaching us with tiny steps. Panda looked down.

“You don’t need to know that.” I replied.

“Tell me or I’ll tell Briana.” She shook my head.

“You can’t tell her!” She shouted.

“I can; and I will,” He said. Aaron shook his head.

“We’ll tell you if you come with us.” He said. I watched Ryan’s face go from suspicion to surprise. He looked behind him and smiled.

“Sure; I have nothing better to do. What is it?”

“My father was murdered and we think humans were involved.” Ryan stroked his chin.

“Interesting, well then; let’s not just stand here and gape at that gate. Let’s go.” He replied. I smiled and put the key in the lock and turned. The doors slightly opened and we had to push them aside to get outside.

            The gate closed and we all stood there in silence. Gavin and Daniel stood close to each other. Panda and Aaron were quiet as a mouse. I glanced at Ryan. He was tensed but it wasn’t really bothering him. “Hm; this is the human world?” He questioned. I looked at the sky. Still pitch black.

“We should find somewhere to go.” I replied. Daniel smiled.

“Night visions everyone,” He said. Ryan jumped into a tree.

“I’ll see you guys soon. I’m going to go and explore.” He said. I gasped.

“Are you sure it’s good to be lurking around like this?” I asked. Ryan scoffed a laugh.

“Most definitely; we still have our vampire powers. If anyone approaches me; I’ll handle them.”

“Do not kill anyone,” I said.

“No promises,” he called and disappeared off. Gavin sighed.

“He’s kinda worse than us.” He said. I shook my head and looked at the others.

“What do you suppose we do now? Can anyone tell me what time it is?” Aaron pulled out his phone.

“It’s about three in the morning. Shall we go off into hiding?” He suggested. I nodded.

“We can’t afford to be risky like Ryan,” Panda giggled.

“Don’t you know Alex; he’s always been like that.” She whispered.

            We walked down the streets of Belle and Conner Avenue. It was nice and the lights were pretty much dimmed which worked out well for us. Daniel held his nose. “I think some humans are close by.” He whispered.