Chapter 10

The Cripps and winged wolves walked along the hilly fields, the yellowed grass covered in frost. The cold winter temperatures where beginning to whip at her face in the form of bitter wind.

"How much farther?" Riptide asked the foxlike Cripp watching the group the back.

"Not too much longer before we reach the main territory," he replied. His green eyes shone with annoyance, as if he didn't wish to speak to the trespassers.

"We expand our territory in the leafless months, since it's harder to find prey during this time," the bluish-grey wolf explained.

"Then where is your main territory?" Summer asked.

The bluish-grey Cripp motioned with his good eye toward the direction they were headed: the towering mountains. The large shards of rock seemed to shoot up from the depths of the underground. Their snow-capped peaks looked as if pieces of the white, puffy clouds above had melted onto the mountains.

As she was dangling from her scruff, Raven gasped in awe at the magnificent sight. Rather than glaring at her, Rita let out a slight chuckle of laughter as she clutched the hybrid pup in her mouth.

Dawn had to agree with Raven. The mountains up close were beautiful! Ever since she was a pup, Dawn had always seen the mountains from the Hawk camp. You could always see them the best from the Lookover Cliff, where all four of the territories were in sight. However, from that far away, the mountains were just a silhouette on the horizon. Seeing them up close was much more mesmerizing.

But sightseeing couldn't prevent Dawn from thinking about the current situation.

"What is Alpha Blizzard like? Would he spare mercy on us winged wolves?" Dawn's thoughts zoomed by like a dragonfly.

The group entered the mountain valley, becoming surrounded by pines trees and large boulders.

Avalanche, who was leading the group and carrying Nova suddenly turned left and darted into the forest. Rita and Andes followed him. Dawn, unsure of what was going on, ran after them, with the other three Cripps forcing her and the rest of the winged wolves forward.

Dawn could quickly feel her lungs begin to burn. Even though they were Cripps, they were quite fast!

After a few moments of sprinting through the woods, the group slowed to a stop in front of the mouth of a large cave. It created a large crater in a mountain's side.

Avalanche glanced back at the group. Dawn could tell by his slight eye movements that he was taking a quick headcount. It was just as before: six winged adults, three winged pups, and six Cripps, counting himself. He nodded and, with Nova in his grip, he led the wolves into the cave.

The darkness enveloped Dawn as she entered the cave with the others. She was only able to navigate through Avalanche's scent, leading them.

After a few moments, a few holes in the cave walls showed, letting in sunlight. Soon, a large hole in a domelike portion of the cave appeared. Along the slanted walls were wolf-sized burrowlike holes, at least three dozen of them. The largest was about twice as large in circumference, and stems covered in small white flowers.

Dawn wondered how the flowers still managed to live in winter. However, it was slightly warmer in this large cave, most likely keeping them alive.

A few Cripps were wandering around the cave before Dawn and the others padded into this camp, but now that they had arrived, all eyes were on them.

Avalanche led the group to where the white-flowered den was. He set down Nova as he said, "If you'd like, you may go see your mom now while I talk to the Alpha. Rita... Andes... Release the pups and let them go see their mothers."

Rita and Andes did as they were told, and all of three of the pups scurried to Star and Dawn.

Dawn sighed as Raven nuzzled her left foreleg. Thank goodness she was alright!

Star licked Nova and Jinx in happiness.

"Stop it, mom! That tickles!" Jinx giggled.

Dawn smiled as she watched Jinx and Nova finally reunite with their mom. However, the group was quickly interrupted by Avalanche walking out of the den, along with an older-looking Cripp.

He had one brown eye and one blue eye. His gray fur looked like storm clouds hovering over his white underbelly. He almost looked like a husky.

"Avium," Avalanche got the attention of the winged wolves. "This is Alpha Blizzard-- leader of the Pack of the Shimmering Snow."

Avalanche then paused again before saying, "He is going to decide your fate."