Home

Andy

           Apartments were not truck friendly; the sharp turns and tiny parking stalls were almost insulting.  It had been a long exhausting day at work, but I successfully managed to park my truck without putting a mark on it. I was ready to curl up with Newt for the evening, but I was interrupted as soon as I stepped out of my truck.

           "You again?" I turned and saw Parker crawling out of a fancy sports car a few spots down. A casual smirk appeared on his face, inviting trouble. "I'm starting to think you may be stalking me now."

           "I should say the same." It was only yesterday that he had yelled at me in Gastown. I didn't know how I should respond. My heart rose to my throat, and I struggled to sound casual. "What are you doing here?" I asked.

           He paused, licked his lips and responded, reluctantly. "I live here."

           I looked from his car to his face. "Blow all your money on that fancy thing?" I smirked, despite myself. I so badly wanted to torment him about something, and this was my opportunity for payback.

           He looked away. "Doesn't matter."

           My eyebrows knit together. Did I insult him? Perhaps he was all talk. I opened my mouth to shout obscenities at him, but when I saw that look in his baby blues, all anger was replaced with pity. "That's a, um, very pretty car." I bit my lip and silently cursed myself for being so timid.

           "And that's a... truck. At least you don't have to worry about anyone stealing it." He shrugged.

           I folded my arms, rage rushed through me once again. "I was trying to give you a compliment."

           He looked down and kicked a loose pebble. "I know. Thanks," he said in a low voice.

           I raised my eyebrow. When was the last time that word came out of his mouth? I heaved my bag out of the truck and locked the door. I walked to the elevator with Parker.

           "So, what were you up to today Mr. Big Shot?" I gave him a playful nudge.

           "Mmm, that's classified information."

           I raised my eyebrows.

           "But I will tell you it involved Chinese takeout and a greedy goat," he continued.

           I let out a laugh. "Suddenly I don't want to know what you were up to."

           "Well... because of the incident, I now have takeout for two. Say, you like Chinese food?"

           "Who doesn't?"

           "Vegans," he muttered under his breath.

           "What?"

           He cleared his throat. "Care for some orange chicken?"

           I looked up into his eyes that now held the playfulness of a little kid. "That's my favourite."

           "Perfect! I'll meet you at your apartment in a few? Mine isn't exactly in a state fit for visitors."

           My eyes bugged out of my head. Dinner? With him? Just the two of us? Alone?

           "That... is fine, right?" he asked hesitantly.

           "Oh!" I snapped out of my stupor. "Yes, yes of course." I told him my apartment number and we parted ways when the elevator reached my floor first.